Author Topic: Donate your pc  (Read 9011 times)

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Donate your pc
« on: December 09, 2003, 03:57:19 PM »
The United Devices Cancer Research Project is asking you to volunteer your PC to help process molecular research being conducted by the Department of Chemistry at the University of Oxford in England and the National Foundation for Cancer Research. To participate, you simply download a very small, no cost, non-invasive software program that works like a screensaver: it runs when your computer isn't being used, and processes research until you need your machine. Your computer never leaves your desk, and the project never interrupts your usual PC use.

More:
Cancer Research Project
Download the UD Agent
« Last Edit: December 09, 2003, 04:06:02 PM by minacross »
MW

Walker

Re:Donate your pc
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2003, 08:42:02 PM »
Hi Mina,

Thanks for the interesting post.

Is this something like the old SETI research program?. Obviously I have no knowledge of the research you mention, initially I wonder how they get so much data or whatever that needs analysing  ???.

I'm off to have a look, sounds like a good cause.

Thanks,
Old W.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2003, 09:30:22 PM »
I will put it on My G5 Mac that should REALLY process the data. Because they did not say mac I will run the virtual PC program
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2003, 01:44:44 AM »
Mina, very good news and a good cause to be envolved with...
Anyway, I suppose a dial-up user will help very little on this, specially when I never see the screen-saver when I'm on-line...  :'(
The best things in life are free.

Walker

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2003, 01:52:54 AM »
Tech,

'Dial up' does'nt matter (as far as I can see), the work is done 'off-line'.

I'm 3/4 of the way through my first 'work unit'  ;D

Old W.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2003, 02:00:03 AM »
Walker, how the data is transmited from the user to them?
I cannot imagine a very small, no cost, non-invasive software program that works like a screensaver like Mina said...

What the program uses, my RAM and my chip? Where does it stores the data?  8)

Walker

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2003, 02:07:25 AM »
Walker, how the data is transmited from the user to them?
I cannot imagine a very small, no cost, non-invasive software program that works like a screensaver like Mina said...

What the program uses, my RAM and my chip? Where does it stores the data?  8)

Tech,

Do you remember the old SETI program (don't know if it's still going!), but it's the same.. .. you download what they call a Work Unit (set to whenever you like, or manually) the PC does the work in the background (mines been running for 2 hours on this first one) whilst you are 'off-line'. When the WU is complete it gets sent back and a new one is downloaded.

You can set how much drive space is allocated and pause the program if you need to do anythin intesive with RAM use.

Perhaps I'm not quiet understanding you question.. .. dig me again if I have your query wrong  :o  ;)

Old and grey W.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2003, 02:13:35 AM »
Walker, you understood me and answer my questions perfectly...
I will wait a little bit more information about Mina but, anyway, if other avast users post it's safe and good, why not me? Let's help the ones who need more help than our chips and video cards...
My mother got cancer (thanks God for her cure!) and I'll really appreciate to give any help...  ;)

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2003, 03:30:35 PM »
Tech.,
UD is safe  ;) , I have been using it since 2/14/2002
it uses relatively little memory/resources...
Just give it a try, you're going to enjoy it  ;)
MW

Walker

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2003, 05:32:08 PM »
Pavel,
Sorry this is not an A-V topic, but hope you'll excuse it as it's not a bad cause  ???

Mina,

Are you in a 'Team' on the system?.

I was wondering if we could start an Team Avast there. I've only got a humble 325 points in my 10 hours, but happy to throw them in  :)

Just a thought  ;)

W.

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2003, 06:14:55 PM »
Pavel,
Sorry this is not an A-V topic, but hope you'll excuse it as it's not a bad cause  ???
Did Pavel have any notes on this thread? did he PM you?  ::)
Mina,

Are you in a 'Team' on the system?.
yes, it is a team started by the moderator of a forum called pc911 , which was remaned to be PCQ&A years later..(as you can see in my signature..)  8)
I was wondering if we could start an Team Avast there. I've only got a humble 325 points in my 10 hours, but happy to throw them in  :)

Just a thought  ;)

W.
no problem at all, go ahead  ;)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 06:16:40 PM by minacross »
MW

Walker

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2003, 06:27:48 PM »

NO, not at all, but seeing as I am protracting the topic, I offered my apologies beforehand as some 'off topics' do raise comment  ;)

Apologies, I did'nt put your sig., together with the 'team'.. .. cut a little slack, I've only just started  ;D ;)

W.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 06:28:43 PM by Walker »

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2003, 07:22:08 PM »

NO, not at all, but seeing as I am protracting the topic, I offered my apologies beforehand as some 'off topics' do raise comment  ;)
thanx :)
Apologies, I did'nt put your sig., together with the 'team'.. .. cut a little slack, I've only just started  ;D ;)

W.
no problem  ;D
MW