Author Topic: Error 10013 at startup?  (Read 7218 times)

rocknman

Error 10013 at startup?
« on: March 11, 2006, 11:02:46 PM »
I've just installed avast and think it's great. One thing though...when I log on, I get an error message 10013 (something like cannot protect NNTP), then another error 10013 refering IMAP, another error 10013 refering SMTP and finally an error 10013 refering POP3. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Error 10013 at startup?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 11:34:04 PM »
Do you use any antispam?
Do you use any News reader application?
The errors are related to the fact that avast is trying to scan email (POP: inbound; SMTP: outbound) and news (NNTP protocol) and other application is using the default ports of communication.
The best things in life are free.

rocknman

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 11:38:39 PM »
OK. I am using NetVeda Safety.Net firewall and I have these ports all blocked I guess. I don't mind the alerts as long as avast is running OK. If I were to unblock these ports, the alerts wouldn't show up...correct? I think I'll leave my settings as-is for now. Think that is OK? Thank you so much!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 11:43:21 PM »
OK. I am using NetVeda Safety.Net firewall and I have these ports all blocked I guess. I don't mind the alerts as long as avast is running OK. If I were to unblock these ports, the alerts wouldn't show up...correct? I think I'll leave my settings as-is for now. Think that is OK? Thank you so much!
No, if you do not unblock the ports avast can't listen them so your email and your news won't be scanned.
There is no need to let these ports blocked, avast should have access to them (listen) to proper function of it.

rocknman

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 11:47:13 PM »
OK...I'll do that. Thanks for the help. Avast is the best!!!

CharleyO

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 11:48:53 PM »

Welcome to the forums, rocknman.    :)

To add to what Tech says:

You can do that and continue to have to acknowledge the alerts. But, if you unblock the ports, Avast will not give the alerts and scan those ports for you ... scanning anything trying to go in or out of those ports.

Please come back often, learn more, and maybe help others.    :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2006, 11:50:04 PM »
OK...I'll do that. Thanks for the help. Avast is the best!!!
You're welcome...
By the way, how accurate is the Safety.Net parental control?

rocknman

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006, 12:40:53 AM »
Not sure on the parental controls. I am single. However, there are lots of settings concerning this. I just got rid of Norton AV and Sygate firewall. Went the free route and got avast av & installed NetVeda Safety.Net firewall (which I'm still working on the settings). Much more difficult than Sygate but it appears to do a good job so far. Thanks for sharing your info.