Author Topic: Ability to have Avast stop monitoring a program?  (Read 7025 times)

clemoh

Ability to have Avast stop monitoring a program?
« on: February 26, 2006, 05:52:29 AM »
Hello, new Avast user here...

I have Blazingtools Perfect Keylogger nstalled on my PC.  I have two preeteens and a teenager who need monitoring while on the internet.  I can't look over their shoulder 24-7, so it is an easy way to make sure they aren't chatting with pervs or surfing off-limits content when we aren't there.  At any rate, I would like to configure Avast to stop monitoring this program.  I have spent a little time going over the features, but can't figure out if it is even possible, let alone how to do it.  Any advice?

justin1278

Re: Ability to have Avast stop monitoring a program?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 06:00:05 AM »
Hello,

Why do you want avast! to stop monitoring this program? What is wrong with avast! keeping an eye on it?

clemoh

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 06:51:55 AM »
OK perhaps it isn't the monitoring, it is more the 'VIRUS FOUND' alert that might tip my kids off that something is amiss.  It is that which I would prefer not to pop up periodically.

timcan

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 01:35:54 PM »
OK perhaps it isn't the monitoring, it is more the 'VIRUS FOUND' alert that might tip my kids off that something is amiss.  It is that which I would prefer not to pop up periodically.
Welcome to the forum clemoh, right click avast "a" in sys tray>program settings>exclusions. :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 01:57:32 PM »
At any rate, I would like to configure Avast to stop monitoring this program.

There are in fact two exclusion lists: one in program settings, for the on-demand scanning.
And other in Standard Shield settings, for the on-access protection (residents).
Second, it's necessary to put the complete mask to the exclusions, i.e. something like
c:\program files\perfect keylogger lite\*
or simply
*\bsdhooks.dll

I'd rather suggest the later, because of potential problems with long file names in the first case.
The best things in life are free.

clemoh

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 03:19:06 PM »
Thanks for the assistance.  I will try both solutions.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 03:25:33 PM »
Thanks for the assistance.  I will try both solutions.
You're welcome.
Don't forget to take a look into Naomi: http://www.radiance.m6.net/  ;)

CharleyO

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2006, 05:36:58 PM »

Welcome to the forums, clemoh.    :)

I would suggest using Naomi that Tech mentions above instead of a keylogger. On the website, read the section titled Other Versions/Plugins. You can use Naomi in a manner that your kids will not know it is there ... other than the fact that certain websites cannot be entered but they won't know why.

Please come back often, learn more, and maybe help others.    :)

clemoh

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2006, 10:38:14 PM »
Thanks folks, I will give Naomi a shot.  I still havent been able to hide the alerts for the  keylogger though.  I'll keep trying.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2006, 11:12:01 PM »
I still havent been able to hide the alerts for the  keylogger though.  I'll keep trying.

For the Standard Shield provider (on-access scanning):
Left click the 'a' blue icon, click on the provider icon at left and then Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and click on Add button...

For the other providers (on-demmand scanning):
Right click the 'a' blue icon, click Program Settings.
Go to Exclusions tab and click on Add button...

mainleif

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2006, 12:49:04 PM »
Hi, i'm a new vast user too. Programs seems very professional and quite easy to use :). However i still have some problems. You say:

---->Second, it's necessary to put the complete mask to the exclusions, i.e. something like c:\program files\perfect keylogger lite\*
or simply
*\bsdhooks.dll<------

When i press the exceptions-tab in webshield (resident) and Add "c:\myprog\*" then it always change it to "http://c:\myprog\*". Is that a bug?? However it works if i enter "*\bsdhooks.dll" but i still havent tested whether it prevent vast detecting my keylogger.

Another thing is that i can't find any information about what the 4 different "providers" do. Seems like Web Shield is the most working provider but i can't figure out excactly what different scanning "network shield", "web shield" is doing. Is there any information about that?

Thanks.

Jonatan

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2006, 04:33:37 PM »
The web shield only monitors internet http: port 80 traffic, that is why the pathe is being converted to a URL not HDD path.
The exceptions for this program should go into the standard shield provider, that is the provider monitoring activity on your hard disk.

There is lots of information in the avast help file ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security