Author Topic: Cannot Activate Passwords  (Read 3788 times)

REDACTED

Cannot Activate Passwords
« on: January 27, 2017, 01:51:09 PM »
New machine, had a bit of bother when installing Avast as machine froze and install did not complete but left bits so could not install.  Came to main board and was sent to software that removes all avast and it worked great  ;D.

So now have avast installed and licences for anti-virus and secure line all ( not sure if I will renew clean up ) working fine but passwords not - password is installed and working but empty, none of my saved passwords are there.  I have over 2 years left till renewal and activation code is on my account but cannot when I go to passwords see where too insert it.

I thought ( am no longer techy sadly, bad health and age affecting me) that all passwords are saved forever on my account but I guess I need to insert that activation code - but where?  All I get is option to purchase nothing that says activate.

Thanks from this old troublesome auld girl  :-[

Offline Tomáš Hellebrand

• Avast team
  • Product owner of Avast Passwords
    • Avast Passwords
Re: Cannot Activate Passwords
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 03:52:40 PM »
Hi survivaluk,

To get your passwords to new computer, make sure, that you turned on the feature "Synchronization and Backup" (you find it in settings). Then you need to turn this feature on on the new computer as well. After you authorize yourself your passwords will be synchronized to your new computer. No license is needed for that.

If this won't work for you, please reach me at hellebrand@avast.com
Tomas Hellebrand
Product owner of Avast Passwords

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 01:55:23 AM »
Sadly no luck, had put sync on but still only passwords appearing are the ones I put in today, none of my others.

So will email you - did have problem when renewed passwords just over a month ago, did not activate and upgraded version ran out and had to email to have it sorted so wonder if something still not right.

Anyway will email with all my avast details.

Thank you

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 02:26:08 AM »
Well, you had to enable synchronization on the old system.

If they old system is still working and you still have it.
Enable synchronization on it.
After that, install avast passwords on the new one

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 08:23:20 AM »
Sadly old machine gone off for major surgery and as that includes new HD I cannot synchronise from it, if that is what you mean.

Have turned on synchronise on passwords but asking me to authorise from another machine but as I do not have one that runs avast ( sadly not found it in app store for my iphone on secure connection) I cannot do this........have emailed now so hopefully things will be sorted soon and until then I type in every password until the new passwords manager has them - this is why even though all tech bumf says do not write down your passwords just rely on a passwords manager I do not listen..........I do both, just means you end up with a book as thick as a thesaurus full of passwords.

Thanks for trying to help

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 11:18:21 AM »
If you hadn't password synchronization enabled on the old system, it is not possible to import them on the new one.
That is why avast passwords is empty.

Your only options are importing the passwords from your browser if you already have passwords stored in it or entering them manually.

Offline Tomáš Hellebrand

• Avast team
  • Product owner of Avast Passwords
    • Avast Passwords
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 02:41:37 PM »
Hi survivaluk,

I already replied to your email. But in short:  In case you don't have any already authorized device with you, you still can authorize new device. Simply find email from Avast with subject “Your backup identity”, click on the link in it and follow the self-authorization process.
Tomas Hellebrand
Product owner of Avast Passwords