Author Topic: Avast and Malwarebytes  (Read 8118 times)

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
Avast and Malwarebytes
« on: January 27, 2017, 05:01:18 PM »
I installed the latest version of Malwarebytes and after doing so the Safezone Browser wouldn't work, showed "no data."  I done a repair, that didn't work so I modified twice. After restarting my computer this is what it showed.......

Should I switch back to an older version of Malwarebytes?

BTW......The Safezone Browser is now working.

EDit:  typo
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 05:03:30 PM by -midnight »

Offline ehmen

• Poster
Re: Avast and Malwarebytes
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 05:31:57 PM »
While Malwarebytes has fixed some (or most) of its bugs from the initial version 3.0 release, there are still some left which may cause issue here and there. Case in point, I recently pressed "Update" in my Malwarebytes 3.0.5, and after exiting wasn't able to start Malwarebytes again, every time I clicked it an error would appear stating that it can't start the Malwarebytes service. Only once I restarted the computer did it work again.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 08:08:40 PM »
I think MBAM is not (fully) compatible with Avast even disabling the so called real-time protection.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 08:25:13 PM »
Malwarebytes 3.0 Pro runs fine here with Avast Internet Security with everything enabled.

You should set mutual exclusions between them though.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 01:03:54 AM »
I can only confirm that : With both latest versions and mutual exclusions, I have no problems either.

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline ehmen

• Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 04:17:04 AM »
I think MBAM is not (fully) compatible with Avast even disabling the so called real-time protection.
Given the remaining bugs in MB3 that haven't yet been cleared up, it wouldn't be surprising if that's the case for some users.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 11:27:47 AM »
Well many are using MBAM without issue and MBAM say it should be compatible with all AVs.

That said many will also say to exclude each others executables and the _avast_ temp sub-folder to prevent MBAM scanning files sent there by avast to be scanned.

So where are you getting this information from ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 12:08:11 PM »
Version 3.0.6.1469 worked for awhile, then when I clicked on it I got an error message saying "unable to connect" so I uninstalled it and installed an older version, 2.2.1.1043 and it works just fine.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 02:55:01 PM »
My personal experience.
Keep MBAM installed. Uninstall Avast. Reboot. Install Avast and it will say that there is an incompatible antimalware installed.
Avast will be installed in Passive Mode (not resident).
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 03:34:37 PM »
My personal experience.
Keep MBAM installed. Uninstall Avast. Reboot. Install Avast and it will say that there is an incompatible antimalware installed.
Avast will be installed in Passive Mode (not resident).

I don't know where the post before mine went (a users first post), as my comment was directed at that poster.

Seems a strange way to go about it I always had avast installed when I installed MBAM.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 11:06:10 PM »
No issues here with or without exclusions. This is with a laptop with a fresh re-install of Win10x64 via a factory reset of Win8.1.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 09:30:24 PM »
I'm new to user forums, so please forgive if I have asked this question in the wrong place.

Using MWB v.3.0.6.1469 along with AVfree v.17.1.2286(reinstalled from AV site after successful uninstall using AV clear).  AVfree reinstalled in passive mode with file syst, mail and web shields turned off. on PC w/ Win10pro op system.
 I have questioned AV support regarding problems/conflicts if both MWB and AVfree are active and they will only state I shouldn't have 2 AV programs active simultaneously.
On other PC's w/  Win 7 systems I have same MWB ver and earlier version of AVfree running alongside each other(all shields on) w/ no issues/ conflicts, or slow downs.
After reading earlier posts here,  it appears that having both running at the same time would be possible(w/out issues)  if I setup "mutual exclusions" in both programs.  Can someone please specify which files should be excluded in each program and where to find the location(s) in each pgm to enter the exclusions. Thank you - would really appreciate you assistance, guidance

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 04:49:21 PM »
After reading earlier posts here,  it appears that having both running at the same time would be possible(w/out issues)  if I setup "mutual exclusions" in both programs.  Can someone please specify which files should be excluded in each program and where to find the location(s) in each pgm to enter the exclusions. Thank you - would really appreciate you assistance, guidance
You can use the search function within each others "exclusions" section to add the program file of each program to one another.

With the issues Malwarebytes has been having lately I'd give it a while before installing, supposedly now out of beta but still flooding their forum with issues. 

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 07:01:33 PM »
There is one issue which MalwareBytes is trying to fix.
That issue concerns "web protection" not being turned on when it should.
This issue occurs randomly without warning to many users.
The MalwareBytes 3.0 board has many complaints concerning this issue.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.