Author Topic: In AIS with Windows 10, it's possible to have both firewalls on?  (Read 3514 times)

REDACTED

In AIS with Windows 10, it's possible to have both firewalls on?
« on: February 03, 2017, 02:35:50 AM »
Hello everyone.

Before, when I used Windows 8.1, I could have both firewalls on (one from Windows and another from AIS), and even if it's said it could cause some problems, I actually didn't have any problem.
I don't know if having both can actually increase security, but I felt safer in that way.

In Windows 10, I cannot turn on the Windows firewall while the AIS  firewall is on.

Is there any way to do that?

Thank you

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: In AIS with Windows 10, it's possible to have both firewalls on?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 02:52:40 AM »
Hi Nori-chan,

Begin all operations in administrator mode.

Turn off AIS firewall>restarting system>should automatically start Windows firewall.  AIS firewall should now be off.

If windows firewall is running> turn on AIS firewall>restart system, again whilst in administrative mode.

Backup all personal files before proceeding as there is always a chance, albeit a slim one, your system will not arrive at the desktop as it usually does. 

It is not necessary to have both firewalls running and in some cases is not advised.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 03:50:59 AM »
Hi Nori-chan,

Begin all operations in administrator mode.

Turn off AIS firewall>restarting system>should automatically start Windows firewall.  AIS firewall should now be off.

If windows firewall is running> turn on AIS firewall>restart system, again whilst in administrative mode.

Backup all personal files before proceeding as there is always a chance, albeit a slim one, your system will not arrive at the desktop as it usually does. 

It is not necessary to have both firewalls running and in some cases is not advised.

Just tried that, but it didn't worked.

After reactivating the AIS firewall and restarting, the Windows firewall got disabled again.

When you said to turn off the firewall, did you mean by disabling it in the settings, or by disabling it in the setup? (with setup I mean by trying to change it control panel)

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 06:57:07 AM »
We'll try the steps outlined below by the two png files attached.

Click 'Firewall is active' which will then bring you to the second png file.  Click 'Turn Off'.  Restart in admin account for all steps.

[EDIT:]  Turn on your AIS firewall on restart after verifying Windows Firewall is running.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 06:59:10 AM by mchain »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 11:22:48 AM »
I suspect that in windows 10 like the anti-virus side, if you install a 3rd party AV, then windows switches off windows defender. I just wonder if the same thing isn't happening with installing 3rd party firewalls, the windows firewall is disabled.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 05:14:46 PM »
We'll try the steps outlined below by the two png files attached.

Click 'Firewall is active' which will then bring you to the second png file.  Click 'Turn Off'.  Restart in admin account for all steps.

[EDIT:]  Turn on your AIS firewall on restart after verifying Windows Firewall is running.

I actually did the same thing in the image, but no success.
Maybe I need to repair it?

I suspect that in windows 10 like the anti-virus side, if you install a 3rd party AV, then windows switches off windows defender. I just wonder if the same thing isn't happening with installing 3rd party firewalls, the windows firewall is disabled.

That makes sense, but we can still enable the Windows Defender in limtied Periodic Scanning, while we can't enable the Windows firewall.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 06:19:57 PM »
<snip quote>

That makes sense, but we can still enable the Windows Defender in limited Periodic Scanning, while we can't enable the Windows firewall.

Whilst that also makes sense, I believe that the difference is that whilst WD could have a passive limited Periodic Scanning (on-demand scan). But the windows firewall can only be an active application, either on or off.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 06:25:40 PM »
There is no need to have two firewalls running.
Why doing the same thing twice if once is already enough ?

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 12:44:45 AM »
There is no need to have two firewalls running.
Why doing the same thing twice if once is already enough ?

Well, I never had any problems with both of them active in Windows 8.1 (even if Windows still told me that I could have problems with both active).

Let's say that I felt more safe with both active.

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2017, 04:16:54 AM »
there really is zero need to have both firewalls. it may be able to be done but i would have to look at it more to see if i could get them both working but honestly i would not worry about it. if you want to use windows then simply dont use the avast one or the other way around. you are welcome to shoot me a pm if you really want to pursue this.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 07:38:53 PM by TheDrizzle »

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2017, 06:21:17 AM »
Nori-chan,

Really, there is no need to have both running at the same time.  Choose one or the other and then leave it alone if you are indeed seeing AIS shutting Windows Firewall down.

Having said that, see 1st attached png that shows windows firewall as running here.  2nd png shows AIS managing the Windows Firewall; maybe that is where you see windows firewall as inactive?

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2017, 04:36:47 PM »
Nori-chan,

Really, there is no need to have both running at the same time.  Choose one or the other and then leave it alone if you are indeed seeing AIS shutting Windows Firewall down.

Having said that, see 1st attached png that shows windows firewall as running here.  2nd png shows AIS managing the Windows Firewall; maybe that is where you see windows firewall as inactive?

Ok then, I will just use one of then.
Thank you for the help

Offline mxbaran707

• Digital Abacus Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2017, 10:58:42 PM »
I have Windows 10 Home 64 bit. The default choice for the Security, in Home edition, is to turn off Windows functions when a third party AV is installed and enabled. It is a more difficult proposition in Windows 10 Professional, as it has 'advanced' security applications installation (Bit Locker, etc...). But I remember it suggested to me, a number of years back, to not use two software firewalls. In this forum. Because conflicts between the two can be resolved by the operating system picking Avast and 'protecting' it in Windows Firewall. It does do that!
Asus VivoBook Maxx / Windows 10 Home 21H2/
AMD A6-9225 RADEON R4, 5 COMPUTE CORES 2C+3G      2.60 GHz/ 4.00 GB (3.88 GB usable)/
64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
BK...😎

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2017, 11:19:44 PM »
It is like having a production line and have a product checked at the end of it.
There is no need to perform the same check multiple times if it is done properly the first time.

The difference nowadays between firewalls is basically the settings they allow the user to change and how easy it is to find them.

They just check where data is coming from and where it is trying to go to.
Having multiple firewalls only means you have to set them up all in the same way.
The only thing you achieve with having multiple firewalls is that you have more work setting them up.

Why blocking something with firewall-1 and setting firewall-2 to do the same thing?
The data traffic is already blocked in firewall-1 and doesn't even reach firewall-2 !
And with software firewalls that means only wasting resources.