Author Topic: Are Community functions implemented in Avast Mac? If so, where are the settings?  (Read 2703 times)

REDACTED

Avast for Windows has a number of 'Community' related features/function, for example "avast! Community IQ".

Question 1: Are any of these features implemented in the Mac version as well?

Question 2: If so, where are the settings for these functions? The windows version has a 'Settings' tab for these, including for example a checkbox for "Participate in the !Avast Community" -- but I can't find any such settings in the Mac version.

Does anyone here know the answer to the above questions?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 11:57:30 AM by Eddy »

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Hi,
There is no such configuration in the current  Avast Mac Security product. In older versions, ending with version 7.x (current is 12.x),
there was a "Comunity IQ" checkbox controlling a few things like the submitting of crash reports which are all now hardset (or acessible
only using the configuration files).

REDACTED

Hi,
There is no such configuration in the current  Avast Mac Security product. In older versions, ending with version 7.x (current is 12.x),
there was a "Comunity IQ" checkbox controlling a few things like the submitting of crash reports which are all now hardset (or acessible
only using the configuration files).

Thanks! By 'hardset' I assume you mean 'on, by default', right?

Do you happen to know which data is sent by default then? (The 'Privacy' page isn't very helpful on this matter, since it seems to be mainly written with the Windows version in mind).

First hit if you search for it > http://files.avast.com/files/documentation/avast-free-antivirus-for-mac-quick-start-guide-en.pdf

http://bfy.tw/9mEH

What a pleasant reaction (A "lmgtfy" link... Really?)

I found that guide (it's hard to miss), however, it is severely outdated. As in: all of the 'community' related settings shown in that guide don't exist anymore in the latest release version for OS X.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
As I do not use a MAC, I couldn't check.

But if that pdf is really that much outdated, I think it shouldn't be offered for download. :-\

REDACTED

But if that pdf is really that much outdated, I think it shouldn't be offered for download. :-\

100% agreed. It was one of the reasons I came here to check, since I was wondering where all the settings in my version are.

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Do you happen to know which data is sent by default then? (The 'Privacy' page isn't very helpful on this matter, since it seems to be mainly written with the Windows version in mind).

The program related info sent to Avast is:
  • Install, uninstall and VPS/program update info containing the machine ID, OS version and (Avast) program info
  • Virus statistics (info about infections detected on the machine)
  • Virus heuristics (suspicious files)
  • Avast components crash reports
  • Network scan data/results of HNS scans

Additional to the program related info, several marketing/sales requests are done by the product which may result in some additional Avast products offers.