Author Topic: Deleting infected files  (Read 6771 times)

digger

Deleting infected files
« on: March 29, 2003, 02:54:36 PM »
I love this software!   :D  Very user friendly and got me out of a spot last night.  One thing though - Avast found a virus but I can't do anything about it (delete, rename, move, etc) because the system says the file is in use.  I reboot the PC and try to delete it as on of the first things I do but I'm still told this file is in use.  Any suggestions on how get around this?   ???
« Last Edit: March 29, 2003, 02:56:07 PM by digger »

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re:Deleting infected files
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2003, 03:12:19 PM »
Rename the file and restart your computer, or reboot in safe mode and delete that file. You may have to clean several settings in your registry, so write down the name of the infected file and search the registry for it after reboot. What kind of Virus/Backdoor/ Worm/Trojan was reported?
MfG Ralf

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2003, 03:34:43 PM »
Or, in the virus alert dialog, click Delete, and in the Delete Details window select 'delete after operating system restart' (I don't know the exact phrase, but it should be something like this).

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

digger

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2003, 05:39:47 PM »
Thanks ppl!  I checked the "delete after next reboot" check box as Vlk suggested and it seemed to work even without rebooting.  

Great product!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2003, 05:41:02 PM by digger »

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2003, 05:53:58 PM »
AFAIk you have to reboot, or why should they call that option "delete after operating system restart". ;)
MfG Ralf