Author Topic: "Avast Passwords didn't start properly"  (Read 17944 times)

REDACTED

"Avast Passwords didn't start properly"
« on: October 30, 2016, 06:14:05 AM »
I get this error message whenever trying to launch Avast Passwords for Mac. I've tried restarting my computer, uninstalling and reinstalling Avast Passwords (btw, no built-in uninstall function that I can see; would be nice if I didn't have to use AppCleaner for it), to no avail. So I can't use it at all. I'm on MBP Early 2011 Sierra.

Offline Felix J. Acero

• Avast team
Re: "Avast Passwords didn't start properly"
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 03:05:00 PM »
Hello SavannahJ,

There are two things you can do:

a) if your vault has already been synchronised you should try a "complete uninstall". To do so you should:

1. Open your terminal application:  /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app ( or you can write "terminal" on the Spotlight Search bar )
2. Copy and paste the following command introducing your root credentials when prompted to do so: sudo /Library/Application\ Support/Avast\ Passwords/components/uninstall.sh
3. Download and install a fresh copy of the application from: www.avast.com/passwords-mac

Note: Please be aware that running the `uninstall.sh` script will remove all traces of "Avast Passwords" from your system including your vault. For this reason, you should only choose this option if you have already synchronised your vault with other devices or if you don't care about removing your vault e.g because you didn't have any records in it.

b) if your vault has not been synchronised and you want to preserve your data you should:

1. Open your terminal application: /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app ( or you can write "terminal" on the Spotlight Search bar )
2. Copy and paste the following command: launchctl remove 6H4HRTU5E3.com.avast.passwords.PasswordsHelperApp
3. Copy and paste the following command: rm -rf ~/Library/Containers/com.avast.passwords.Passwords/Data/Library/Application\ Support

Please let me know if this solves your issue.

Regards,

Felix

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 10:42:47 PM »
Hi Felix,

I followed your instructions. I'm afraid it made no difference. Avast Passwords still won't start, and still gives me the same error message.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 09:28:15 PM »
Hello?

Offline Felix J. Acero

• Avast team
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 01:15:22 PM »
Hello SavannahJ,

I am sorry I didn't answer before. Did you get any errors after running the uninstall script?

In case nothing unusual happened after running the script, I would like to ask you to send me the logs of your app; without this information is hard to figure out what exactly is going on.

The logs are located at:  ~/Library/Group Containers/6H4HRTU5E3.com.avast.passwords/Logs

You could send a zip with the logs to: passwords@avast.com

I will get back to you as soon as our team gives a look to your logs.

Regards

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 02:15:21 AM »
I just had the same problem, I got to remove it with AppCleaner and re-installed.

Now I'm trying to recover my passwords but it says I must find a freaking restore email that was never sent to me. I have a lot of business tools passwords on this software, I can't believe a company like Avast will rely on a freaking restore email to help me recover my passwords for a problem they've created.

We are in 2016, why can't I ask for a synchronization you guys send me an e-mail asking if I'm myself and then give me access again?

I've got to access the e-mail to find the freaking recover e-mail anyway, I you guys just doesn't send me a new one?

This is frustrating, I'll have to recover my passwords one by one.

I hate Avast  >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 12:55:55 PM »
I'm pretty sure the email was send.
avast can't help it if you didn't see it/received it.

Sending a new email will not work as avast doesn't store nor has access to your passwords.
You can easily restore the passwords if you had synchronization enabled.

Bottom line is that you are responsible for remembering/having a backup of your passwords not avast.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 01:47:15 PM »
How can you be sure?

Do you think that this is acceptable? Why the encryption key isn't my master password?

Thanks for making me loose a lot of time recovering my passwords, I now use LastPass and speak ill of Avast 👍

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 04:47:39 AM »
I am having the same problem, after a reinstall and install again without removing the vault I am getting:

Crashed Thread:        0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal:    Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process:   exc handler

Any other info that would help? any way of accessing the info other way?

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2016, 04:51:30 AM »
To add more information, this happened after an automatic update, after the update I couldn't open it anymore. Also the installer on the web is a previous version.

Offline Felix J. Acero

• Avast team
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 04:05:38 PM »
Hil Leandro,

I am sorry you are having issues with the product. Could you please send me a private message with the full crash log?

On a side note, have you tried running the script under: `sudo /Library/Application\ Support/Avast\ Passwords/components/uninstall.sh` before reinstalling the new version of the app?

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2016, 03:58:02 AM »
I didnt uninstall like that because I will lose the information, I am trying to solve the problem in another way.