Author Topic: Avast only protecting one account  (Read 11443 times)

Barr_y

Avast only protecting one account
« on: February 27, 2006, 01:16:03 PM »
A friend of mine has written to me this morning with a problem she is having with Avast not checking all her email accounts and this is what she says.

"Remember how I told you about avast email scanner only scanning one of the accounts, I looked on the forums and it tells you to change the settings, however when I try  it mucks up the lot.  There must be a simple reason why, but I seem to be  missing it.   so, now it only protects 1 email account.   It is driving me up the wall as it used to work on my XP computer"

Any ideas as to what is going wrong please.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast only protecting one account
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 02:22:34 PM »
avast! works with multiple smtp/pop servers and can protect as many pop3/smtp server accounts as you want:

With 98\Me:

1. Configure your email accounts to work without the antivirus and test them.
2. If everything is fine, close all your email clients (programs).
3. Start Menu > All programs > avast antivirus > Mail Protection Wizard
4. Follow the non Outlook/Exchange option (i.e., the second one).
    You can choose the supported email programs and select all the accounts
    (even the ones created in the future).
5. Configure your email accounts to use avast! as antivirus.

With XP:

With Windows 2k\XP, avast 4.5 has a new mail detection that will work automatically. Please, set up your email account just as avast does not exist. It will detect the pop3/smpt/imap ports and scan your messages. Can you make a try and see if it's ok? Thanks.
New email detection is automatic and do not require user interaction. Anyway, spam killer applications need manually change email account settings  ;)

Note: the pop/smtp default servers are just the 'default' ones. They would be used to send files to Alwil Software (for virus analysis, for instance) and in special email accounts configurated to use 'default' servers.

Hope this helps.

More information here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=9;action=display;threadid=4818;start=msg34754#msg34754
The best things in life are free.

Barr_y

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 03:14:55 PM »
Hi Tech thank you for that information, I will forward on to my friend to see if she can rectify the problem with these instructions.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 03:18:39 PM »
Hi Barr_y,
Is it possible that only one of her e-mail accounts is pop3   and the rest are
online e-mail accounts like hotmail or yahoo or gmail?
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Barr_y

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 03:57:24 PM »
Hi Bob Thank you for your reply. Avast used to protect all her accounts once, so I think she must have had Pop3 before. The trouble at the moment her M/B has blown up twice so it could be a bit more than an Avast problem. I have sent her all what Tech said so I will wait for her to reply to see how she gets on.

CharleyO

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 07:23:30 PM »

The trouble at the moment her M/B has blown up twice ......

Huh? Does M/B mean motherboard and how could it blow up twice?     ???

Barr_y

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 12:01:44 AM »
Duh!! what do you think M/B means, or perhaps you would like another word like Mobo, or possibly Motherboard. I had the help she needed from people that can help, I don't need crackpot remarks. Read her words for you to understand, maybe.

My computer had the faulty motherboard and I contacted the manufacturer and they replaced the board for me.  While I was away, my husband fitted the motherboard and the computer ran beautifully, everything was great, ...until it died again, after about 15 minutes.  He had tested the PSU and CPU was OK.  Maybe it is a dodgy PSU...who knows ..any thoughts??  I am now in the process of sending off the 2nd board,

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 12:23:52 AM »
Duh!! what do you think M/B means, or perhaps you would like another word like Mobo, or possibly Motherboard. I had the help she needed from people that can help, I don't need crackpot remarks. Read her words for you to understand, maybe.
When you come seeking help it is easier to bite your tongue or count to ten and just say 'motherboard,' much quicker, rather than lash out with the crackpot comment.

It doesn't achieve anything, and it may possibly stop at least one person from offering help in the future, which would be your loss.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Barr_y

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 11:40:19 AM »
Thank you for that remark David. I did ask for help and received good advice from people that like to help. Sorry if there is always some wisecrack person that likes to put their useless two penneth into a perfectly understandable posting. I promote Avast Antivirus on my own web site and would never input useless remarks to anybody that asks my advice and help. Perhaps you should be writing to these people that have no input at all instead of people like me that always says please and thank you for help that is given.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 01:57:57 PM »
Barr_y, sorry, but your reaction is rather stupid and inadequate. Nobody knows all those acronyms used on the net, and people often write with typos and incorrectly here, so there's nothing wrong about asking to make sure - especially when they're trying to help.

Don't know why you feel like spending so much time with useless reactions to one simple question, that may have been answered with one word.

Barr_y

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 02:28:56 PM »
Hi I can't believe what I am reading here. Surely you can read my posting and see that I actually got all the great help I needed for my friend. Do you believe that people won't answer a plea for help? I think it would be the other way round and people won't ask for help here in case of being ridiculed or belittled with no positive input, like so many other forums I have been into and read the rude and insulting posts people like to input. Please don't refer to me as stupid either, that I am not.  Also I use spell check even if a web site forum doesn't have one by copying and pasting into my own Outlook Express, very simple. I am sure a lot of people might agree with me on this subject, if they would only support what I am writing.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 02:58:03 PM »
Thank you for that remark David. I did ask for help and received good advice from people that like to help. Sorry if there is always some wisecrack person that likes to put their useless two penneth into a perfectly understandable posting. I promote Avast Antivirus on my own web site and would never input useless remarks to anybody that asks my advice and help. Perhaps you should be writing to these people that have no input at all instead of people like me that always says please and thank you for help that is given.

CharleyO is everything but "wisecrack person". He is a respectable forum member as well as long time forum regular. I personally do not see anything wrong inside his reply to your posts. He simply asked you a question, just because IT IS unbelievable that motherboard can be burned twice. You burn it once, and you're done... all you have to do is to get yourself a new one... as simple as that. CharleyO simple didn't know that you weren't talking about the different motherboard, second, new one. He thought you were talking about the same motherboard being burned twice.

Again, CharleyO didn't mean anything wrong with his reply, I am 100% sure. He is just not that kind of guy you are referring to. I know him very well and many people in this forum knows him very well... if you were hanging here long enough, you would know that too.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 03:14:00 PM by S.Z.Craftec »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2006, 03:08:49 PM »
Barr_y, I didn't refer to you as stupid, but to your reactions.
Yes, I can read your postings - and that's exactly why I don't understand the need for the offending comments you appended; they were absolutely unnecessary.

Barr_y

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2006, 03:40:58 PM »
Thank you for all comments. But my advice when reading a perfectly normal request for help and practically seeing the conclusion with my comment to bob 3160, and for someone like respectful CharleyO who has posted 1036 post and doesn't recognise an abbreviation of motherboard. I personally would not have posted into the posting, just read it with interest.
I do like Avast and will help people where I can, but I will surely not bother to ask in a forum where anybody can butt in and not make any positive input. I won't be inputting to this post again so save your writing skills for somebody else that asks for help.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2006, 03:49:14 PM »
Abbreviation or not, you should have posted a full word... it's not like it's an unbelievable long one anyway. Or you are just being too lazy to do that and still expecting from people to bother with your problems ? One thing do not forget though... we are helping here for free. We are spending our precious free time to help people like you, so you should respect that. And when someone asks as simple question as CharleyO asked you, you shouldn't react like you did. That attitude will not bring you any good.  ;) You could've realized it by now.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s