Author Topic: Possible malware slowing down startup  (Read 1803 times)

REDACTED

Possible malware slowing down startup
« on: February 01, 2017, 12:53:19 AM »
Hi there, it's been a while! I've been having a little issue lately; it isn't so much the booting part, but once I log in on my account when it takes me to the desktop, it takes some time to load. And no, I'm entirely sure it's not because of little space on the HDD as I've only recently performed a clean-up of my files (downloaded stuff, pictures, and other stuff I had on the desktop too).

But, in the latest two-three days, it's been freezing once I log in, taking me to an empty wallpaper and a taskbar which makes my mouse play the loading animation when I hover over it. It takes about 5 minutes or more to load, as files slowly appear on the desktop and the software icons on the taskbar.

However, it's only this slow during the startup. Afterward, the computer is pretty much in its usual conditions.

Doing some research, I've encountered the possibilities of either two software conflicting or malware (which is the most likely).

Note: Before scanning and everything, I tried using adwareclean after trying with Malwarebytes several times, and it found a certain ByteFence (which I removed now, of course). However, there's still a little waiting time after I start up the PC.

Regards,
Nico.

REDACTED

Re: Possible malware slowing down startup
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 03:25:50 PM »
P.S: I almost forgot! Everytime I start up the PC I see a process named Wrapper Run Once (32bit), but then it disappears. Not sure if it has anything to do with this, but I am 100% I didn't have that one before.

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Possible malware slowing down startup
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 06:03:22 AM »
Before we go cutting things out of your system, try removing either of these two software / drivers:

Tunngle (Version: 5.8.7 - Tunngle.net GmbH)
OpenVPN 2.3.12-I601 (Version: 2.3.12-I601 - )

Both of these seem to be using the same base driver and this may be interfering with one another during loading.  Let me know if this makes the difference for you.
Win7 x32 Ult. SP1, Brain 2.0 / Win10 x64, Brain2.5
My help is always free but if you would like to help encourage me or show your thanks -----> DONATE