Author Topic: AVAST upgrade has crippled my computer, cannot uninstall, only browser runs  (Read 45010 times)

REDACTED

This morning AVAST upgraded to a new version. It rebooted my computer after the upgrade. When my computer came back up, my applications (except for browser) don't run. I get lots of these errors: Application Error - The application was unable to start correctly (0xc00000e5). Click OK to close the application. I cannot uninstall AVAST - uninstall does not run (I can click on Uninstall and it asks me if it's OK to do the uninstall, then nothing happens.) I figured if I uninstalled I could reinstall and that might fix the problem.

Help!
Doug Roberts

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
- Which Avast..? (Free/Pro/IS/Premier)
- OS..? (32/64 Bit..? - which SP/Build..?)
- Other security related software installed..?
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Already rebooted a few times ?
Already tried a repair of avast ?

REDACTED

Uninstall Utility  >>  https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Hi Pondus -
That AvastClear worked. I'm back in normal Windows mode and my apps run. Now I'm going to reinstall Avast.

I am using the free version, Windows 10, 64 bit.

Doug

REDACTED

Uninstall Utility  >>  https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Hi Pondus -
That AvastClear worked. I'm back in normal Windows mode and my apps run. Now I'm going to reinstall Avast.

I am using the free version, Windows 10, 64 bit.

Doug

I reinstalled Avast and I've got the same problem back of my apps not running. Excel.exe does it. Things went wrong during the Avast Startup Scan.

Going now again to uninstall using AvastClear in safe mode.

My other piece of security software is Comodo Firewall. I thought that was necessary for complete security.

Doug

REDACTED

Hi -
I'm looking for a suggestion on what to do now that I have successfully uninstalled Avast a second time. I now have caused this problem of no apps running to occur two times, each time followed by uninstalling Avast in safe mode with AvastClear.

I've been using Avast with no problems for a very long time. Is it a problem that I run Comodo Firewall? (I've been running Comodo Firewall without issue for just as long as I've been running Avast.) I thought Comodo Firewall provided coverage that was not covered by Avast.

Currently I'm running with no security.

Thanks for any help. That AvastClear was a lifesaver when uninstall did not work in normal mode.

Doug

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
Remove Comodo completely.
There is no need for it as Windows already has firewall that does the job.

Next to that, Comodo isn't just a plain firewall anymore and can cause conflicts with other security software.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Does it work if you remove Comodo..?
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

Like I said in the other thread, I have the same problem on both my PCs and I am also running Comodo. So there might be a lead there. Might as well be coincidence though. Three is not exactly a big sample size.

REDACTED

Re: AVAST upgrade has crippled my computer, cannot uninstall, only browser runs
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 07:42:29 PM »
Remove Comodo completely.
There is no need for it as Windows already has firewall that does the job.

Next to that, Comodo isn't just a plain firewall anymore and can cause conflicts with other security software.
I'm doing that removal now. How do I turn on the Windows Firewall?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Doug

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 07:52:17 PM »
Windows 10 should turn on the build in firewall automatically if there is no other firewall installed.

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 08:05:42 PM »
Same problem.  Windows 10.  All kinds of application errors.  I use Comodo as well.  In the past there was no conflict.  Something in Avast changed, apparently, that has created a conflict.

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 08:16:30 PM »
Windows 10 should turn on the build in firewall automatically if there is no other firewall installed.

So I've got Windows Firewall turned on. It already was turned on. I'm also getting a message from Windows that Windows Defender is not turned on. Do I need that?

The installation of Avast is now complete and the startup scan is complete. Applications run without error.

Thank you. Please let me know about Windows Defender.

Much appreciated.

Doug

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 08:18:52 PM »
In Windows 10 Defender is automatically turned of when another av is installed.