Author Topic: [BUGS] Boot-time scan problems  (Read 4725 times)

Offline priestlucas123

[BUGS] Boot-time scan problems
« on: February 07, 2017, 09:53:20 PM »
1) on page to have a boot-time scan start on next computer startup, there is a link to download additional definitions. If link pressed the screen says additional definitions are being downloaded and a status bar goes left to right then right to left. The problem is I left this running for 45 minutes with no indication it was finished. When I clicked on the Status tab then back to the boot-time scan page only then did it show that the download was complete. Either this process is really slow or the page doesn't update when the download is complete.

2) After a boot-time scan is completed and the desktop opens, there is no entry for this scan under Scan History (an entry did appear in the previous release).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: [BUGS] Boot-time scan problems
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 10:47:12 PM »
2. Since the boot-time scan is essentially done before windows has started fully, it can't update things like the scan history.

It does however update a text file:
C:\ProgramData\Avast Software\Avast\report\aswBoot.txt (Vista, Win7 or later OS location), check this file using notepad for info on the scan.

Depending on your OS - This may be a hidden location so you may have to change the Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View, hidden files and folders.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 12:47:21 AM »
I ended up here because I, too, can no longer find the results of a Boot-time scan in Scan History (always could in previous versions). This is the same situation on 2 separate systems each running Win 8.1, Avast 17.2.2288

I may not know much about much, but I do not think you are correct when you say that the results can never be found in the Scan History. There are actual screenshots of the Boot-time scan results in Scan history on this page: https://www.winhelp.info/avast-free-antivirus-boot-time-scan/

I just don't know how to get Avast to realize this is a Bug and do something about it.

BTW, I also could not find a file by the name you suggest in ProgramData...

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 07:22:35 AM »
I ended up here because I, too, can no longer find the results of a Boot-time scan in Scan History (always could in previous versions).
Works for me, see screenshot.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 06:39:46 PM »
Glad to see it works for you. And your email confirms that DavidR is incorrect when he says that there cannot be a record in Scan History.

However, it isn't working for two separate computers in my family and the OP, either.

Does anyone know how to fix this or communicate the Bug to AVAST so that they will fix it?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 05:32:08 AM »
- Which Avast..? (Free/Pro/IS/Premier)
- Other security related software installed..?
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 09:35:32 PM »
Sorry for the delayed response.

Avast Free 17.3.2291, no other AV software running.

Seems there are even more problems with this 'upgrade'. Scheduled scans are not running when scheduled (if they run at all). The 'Quick Scan' has started showing "Scan Cancelled" (or something like that) after it reaches 99%. Crazy amount of system resources being used.

I wish there was a way to communicate these bugs to Avast, but for free version users, we're left on our own. A real shame.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 10:40:39 PM »
I wish there was a way to communicate these bugs to Avast, but for free version users, we're left on our own. A real shame.
There is .... this forum   ;)