Author Topic: Any way to remove the "X-Antivirus" headers from mail?  (Read 6586 times)

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
Any way to remove the "X-Antivirus" headers from mail?
« on: December 11, 2003, 11:57:29 PM »
Is there any way to remove the "X-Antivirus" headers from mail?  I don't need to store that info on my received mail (it only takes up disk space, I only need a popup if there is a problem) and on my outgoing (some of the receipients are fed up with all those headers, and two more.... well :-))
www.osterud.name - ICQ: 7297605 - AIM/Yahoo/Facebook/Skype/Astra: LarsErikOsterud

Culpeper

Re:Any way to remove the "X-Antivirus" headers from mail?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2003, 03:58:50 AM »
Lars

It probably is a good idea to leave that header in there.  It's a signature that Avast has scanned the email.  Any space it is taking up is not material.  If on the other hand, it is material, than reducing the header size of your messages is not going to relieve you of an existing problem on running out of room on your hard drive.

Most of the information in a hidden header is meaningless and a waste of space but not the Antivirus header.  It is one of the most important header lines in your message.  

Nevertheless, there is no setting to disable the header information that I am aware of.

I don't scan outgoing mail.  
« Last Edit: December 12, 2003, 04:02:00 AM by Culpeper »

techie101

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2003, 05:50:01 AM »
Lars,

Culpeper's analysis of your post is correct.
Think of it this way....
The X banner is Avast's stamp of approval that things are ok.

I myself DO scan both incoming and outgoing mail.
I guess it is my 100% percent mindset.

techie

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2003, 07:04:38 PM »
Lars,

Culpeper's analysis of your post is correct.
Think of it this way....
The X banner is Avast's stamp of approval that things are ok.

I myself DO scan both incoming and outgoing mail.
I guess it is my 100% percent mindset.

techie

Sorry (or not  ;D), Lars, I agree with Culpeper and Techie...
If I were you, I won't be worried about 2 lines in the headers...  ;)
The best things in life are free.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2003, 11:11:23 PM »
...and... one small correction... it's not header... it's more like Safe Signature. Why's that ? Because it goes to the bottom line, end of every mail message. Header is something that goes to the top of something...

Regards !

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2003, 11:14:15 PM »
S.Z.Craftec: I believe the original poster meant something else - not the "notes" avast! (optionally) adds to the end of the messages. The scanner also adds one line into the header of the e-mail - which is a part invisible to (or rather unseen by) 99.9% of the users.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2003, 11:54:22 PM »
Oh, OK... I thought you guys are talking about that "visible" signature at the end of mail message (incoming or outgoing).

But, anyway... why make so big noise about that little header (invisible) inside each message ? It's not like it's adding 20 Kb to whole message file... besides, I'm not storing e-mails like they're of some sentimental value to me.... I receive them, I read them, and finaly I delete those read e-mails...

No matter is it header or signature, I think it's very important to have them... the price is too small for what you get.

Regards !

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2003, 12:17:47 AM »
Well, some of us (both me and the receivers) store all mail. And even though two more headers (or 4 if both use avast!) thakes litte space, if you got a 1000 messages then...

Besides avast! is not the only one adding header. Almost every little software stub is adding headers these days :-)

I won't have the option removed from avast!, I only want an option to not add the headers if the user likes that (just like the option for the "footer"). Then I could choose NOT to add the headers to my incoming mail (I know they are scanned), and possible leave them on outgoing (if I'd like that).

So it's just another option (on/off). No major changes.
www.osterud.name - ICQ: 7297605 - AIM/Yahoo/Facebook/Skype/Astra: LarsErikOsterud

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2003, 12:25:42 PM »
Well, some of us (both me and the receivers) store all mail. And even though two more headers (or 4 if both use avast!) thakes litte space, if you got a 1000 messages then...

Besides avast! is not the only one adding header. Almost every little software stub is adding headers these days :-)

I won't have the option removed from avast!, I only want an option to not add the headers if the user likes that (just like the option for the "footer"). Then I could choose NOT to add the headers to my incoming mail (I know they are scanned), and possible leave them on outgoing (if I'd like that).

So it's just another option (on/off). No major changes.

If posible avast! team, I think Lars' option is valuable.
Lars, maybe you can post this at the WISHLIST, if you did not post it yet  ;)

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2003, 04:02:33 PM »
It's posted there (along with some other wishes).
Maybe I should post the one about new filetype ECE (web-pages), and HTM, ASP and ECE files with parameters not beeing scanned there as well (or are they aware of those?)?

Culpeper

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2003, 05:34:36 AM »
I will leave the argument on "space" and merely suggest that option of Yes/No header could be made available like the option for an Avast email note is available with the Avast email provider.  So like Lars has stated, it's just another option that some may find useful.  Personally, I prefer a program that is scanning email to leave header information, which let's me know that the program is working.  I'm always paranoid that OS is playing one of it's tricks and is not working properly with an application program without my knowledge until it is too late.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2003, 02:21:38 PM »
I will leave the argument on "space" and merely suggest that option of Yes/No header could be made available like the option for an Avast email note is available with the Avast email provider.  So like Lars has stated, it's just another option that some may find useful.  Personally, I prefer a program that is scanning email to leave header information, which let's me know that the program is working.  I'm always paranoid that OS is playing one of it's tricks and is not working properly with an application program without my knowledge until it is too late.

Everybody understand you! We all, sometime, were fooled by the OS...  ;D