Author Topic: Avast is blocking all tellows domains, eg. www.tellows.de, www.tellows.it  (Read 2433 times)

REDACTED

Hi,

your Avast software is blocking all tellows domains, eg. www.tellows.de, www.tellows.it, www.tellows.at, etc. There is no virus or trojan on that page - something must be wrong with your detection!

I am the CEO of the tellows project. A lot of tellows users are complaining to us about your service that is blocking our websites! As we have 5-6 Mio users per month, there are quite a few using your software.

Thanks for checking (hopefully) solving this issue,
Cheers Stefan

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast is blocking all tellows domains, eg. www.tellows.de, www.tellows.it
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 09:01:13 PM »
There is phishing going on on that IP :
https://www.virustotal.com/en/ip-address/104.24.21.54/information/

Malware on that ASN :
http://urlquery.net/report.php?id=1486151044082

You should use dedicated hosting, not shared hosting.

Another problem is that the login through your sites is not secured.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 09:03:48 PM by Eddy »

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 09:32:06 PM »
Hi Eddy,

thanks for your answer - but you should check the IP-Address again. You might notice, that it belongs to cloudflare and is for sure used by a lot of projects. But that does not mean, that all projects are on the SAME SERVER. If Avast is not capable of the concepts of cloudflare and similar Cache and DDOS-protection services, I am sure that this is a big problem for all users!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 09:40:50 PM »
Well, avast sure knows how things are working.

But multiple domains on 1 IP and there is always the risk it gets blocked.
Especially when multiple domains are malicious.

Ask avast to have a look and if they find nothing malicious on your sites, they will unlock it.
https://www.avast.com/report-a-url.php

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 12:05:32 AM »
Thanks for your link! I will try that. Also complained at cloudflare about this issue.

"But multiple domains on 1 IP and there is always the risk it gets blocked" -> this seems only true for Avast, as they are the ONLY "security" program that blocks just by IP or at least runs into this false positive on our website.

As I said - this will most likely hit thousands of websites! Just have a look at the websites and projects using cloudflare. They are randomly switching IPs, as they are doing the DNS and it is like a lottery if you get a "bad" IP.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 12:20:31 AM »
No, avast isn't the only one and the number of tools doing so is growing (as they say) each day.
There are already many others that also block a entire IP if there is malicious activity on it and especially if there is a lot of it going on.

Use the link I gave you, if you haven't done so already and avast will have a look.
If nothing malicious is found they will allow your domain.
Keep in mind that it is weekend so it can take a bit of time before they have a look.