Author Topic: Is "Behavior Shield" a huge performance hog?  (Read 3926 times)

REDACTED

Is "Behavior Shield" a huge performance hog?
« on: February 10, 2017, 12:37:52 AM »
I only use File System Shield and Web Shield, the "minimal installation" components, others are unnecessary for me. Latest Avast introduced Behavior Shield, which I understand constantly scans background processes. Safe to assume it's a performance hog?

I just want a fast antivirus with close to 0 impact on system performance, but also more secure than plain Defender. In this regard I'm very happy with Avast's minimal installation, long-time user, just curious about this new feature.

Thanks!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Is "Behavior Shield" a huge performance hog?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 12:58:22 AM »
I don't believe that it is scanning in the background as such, no more so than the file system shield as it is sitting in the background awaiting activity that would trigger it.

There are some that would consider this as an extension of the file system shield.

I wouldn't make assumptions that it is a performance hog, no more so than the other on-access resident shields

I suggest that you open up the avastUI > Settings > Components > Behavior Shield - Customise. Once there click the ? (help) icon and read what it seeks to do. I would leave it running and see what the impact is if any, rather than make an assumption and switch it off.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
Re: Is "Behavior Shield" a huge performance hog?
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 01:04:31 AM »
Hi Senpai, welcome to the forum :)

Behaviour Shield is indeed constantly monitoring your system, to prevent new/unknown malware from infecting your system.
It is the last line of protection, if everything else fails.
Btw it is more advanced than just a " Behaviour Shield ", and it is using the cloud as well.

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )