Author Topic: Spam not being handled properly  (Read 2448 times)

Offline WillT

Spam not being handled properly
« on: February 08, 2017, 06:46:18 PM »
I had used the free version for years.  In that mail marked by Avast as Spam would show up in my "Junk" folder in Outlook.  Since recently updating to the paid Internet Security, that is no longer happening. The messages are being marked properly as "SPAM" by Avast, just not being moved to Junk but are left in the original inbox.  I do have the setting to "Automatically move spam messages to the junk folder" ticked as shown in the attached screen shot.  Can anyone help me to get this working as it did before?  Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 06:49:33 PM by WillT »

Offline WillT

Re: Spam not being handled properly
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 07:40:10 AM »
Well I have not been able to find anything to figure this out.  Many have had a problem in the past with Avast putting non-spam in the Outlook Junk folder, but not with Avast marking a message as spam, but then not moving it to junk.  I checked all the settings again and I can't see anything I have wrong.  Plus, it worked fine before I installed Internet Security.  Odd.

Offline WillT

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 06:54:48 PM »
Well this must be a very hard problem to solve.  I can't find anything myself and no replies at all here.  Just in case the problem is that I have not been clear enough in my description of the problem with Internet Security, here is another screen shot showing the exact types of messages marked as "***SPAM***" by Avast that are no longer being moved to the Outlook junk folder.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 06:58:20 PM »
It's working fine for me here using Internet Security.

Have you ran an Avast repair?

Repair avast!:
1. Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs -> avast!
2. Click on 'Repair'.
3. Follow instructions.
4. Reboot.

One more thing to note : The Free version has never had an anti-spam feature. Avast wasn't putting them in the junk folder.. it was probably Microsoft Outlook spam filters.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline WillT

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 07:17:29 PM »
Interesting.  I will run the repair tool just in case.

The messages marked as ***SPAM*** used to always end up in the spam folder.  If Avast Free was not doing that, and all the Outlook rules are the same as they were, then why is it not happening now?  I also just reviewed the Outlook rules I set up long ago and there is not one that moves anything to the Junk folder.  There are Outlook rules that filter certain emails into specific folders based on who the email is addressed to.  Maybe those rules are overriding the Avast setting.  Maybe I just need to make an Outlook rule that filters all mail with "***SPAM***" into the Junk folder.

Offline WillT

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 07:51:55 PM »
Ran the repair tool and now copies of the messages marked ***SPAM*** are going into the junk folder.  But a copy is left in the original inbox also.  I'll have to dissect the Outlook rules I have in place as it seems most likely one of those is causing this.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 08:04:41 PM »
Yes, It's now the case of removing your Outlook rules and it shall be fine.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 09:29:47 PM »
I have the same problem and although I change my outlook app there is no way..
.does someone know any other solution?