Author Topic: Questions out of curiosity.  (Read 38878 times)

Offline Morro41

Questions out of curiosity.
« on: February 09, 2017, 12:23:19 PM »
 Okay first of all, I really like the look of the new Avast. :)

But now for two questions, so lets get to it. After installing the latest version when I shutdown/restart my computer I see a mention of "aswbIDSAgent" ... what does this service ( I presume it is a service? ) do? And more importantly ... why does it make shutting down/restarting take considerably longer? ( Feels like it takes a minute or a bit more then that? )
Windows 10 64bit /MSI Z370 Codex Gaming XE Desktop i5-9600K CPU 3.70GHz /16 GB DDR4 Memory /NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Graphics card /256 GB SSD /1TB HDD/External 5 TB WD Elements 25A3 USB Device

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Questions out of curiosity.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 12:45:29 PM »
After installing the latest version when I shutdown/restart my computer I see a mention of "aswbIDSAgent" ... what does this service ( I presume it is a service? ) do?
That's the new behavior shield.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Morro41

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 12:49:10 PM »
After installing the latest version when I shutdown/restart my computer I see a mention of "aswbIDSAgent" ... what does this service ( I presume it is a service? ) do?
That's the new behavior shield.

Okay thanks, so with that answer, does that mean that when I see aswbIDSAgent during shutdown or restart it is scanning my computer somehow? And hence explaining the increased time needed to shutdown or restart my computer?
Windows 10 64bit /MSI Z370 Codex Gaming XE Desktop i5-9600K CPU 3.70GHz /16 GB DDR4 Memory /NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Graphics card /256 GB SSD /1TB HDD/External 5 TB WD Elements 25A3 USB Device

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 12:51:06 PM »
One of the devs has to answer that...
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Morro41

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 01:07:38 PM »
One of the devs has to answer that...

Okay, guess I will have to wait and see when a Dev sees this thread. Or is there a specific Dev I can approach for this?

Offline Morro41

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 12:31:16 PM »
why does it make shutting down/restarting take considerably longer? ( Feels like it takes a minute or a bit more then that? )

Hoping that a Dev sees this and can answer the  part above that Asyn could not?

Offline Morro41

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 04:02:23 PM »
Hmm I am noticing a pattern with the thing I mentioned about aswbIDSAgent. I think it does scan at certain intervals, ( Do not know how often it does that. ) because I noticed that it does not always slow down the shutdown/restart of my computer. Even though it could be pure coincidence, I noticed that at certain moments internet sites take a long time to load. And so far it seems to me that at those moments aswbIDSAgent is active/scanning some how, because at those moments if I shutdown/restart my computer I get those long shutdown/restart times.

If it is aswbIDSAgent that causes websites to take a long time to load ( And as such long shutdown/restart times. ) when it activates ... then I do not particularly like that about aswbIDSAgent. I some how can take the increased shutdown/restart times when aswbIDSAgent is active ... but not the long website loading times. ( If it is caused by aswbIDSAgent that is. )

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 04:36:44 PM »
This is a module of Behavior Shield and this module doesn't "activate" or "scan". This module is a continuously active monitoring agent which is overseeing everything running on your system.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Morro41

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 05:17:23 PM »
Okay but why are there times where I get long shutdown/restart moments when I see aswbIDSAgent mentioned during shutdown/restart, and other times my computer shuts down fast?

And any idea why I always seem to get long website loading times when I also get the long shutdown/restart times? ( Those two happen together so far. )

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 12:47:03 PM »
Okay but why are there times where I get long shutdown/restart moments when I see aswbIDSAgent mentioned during shutdown/restart, and other times my computer shuts down fast?

And any idea why I always seem to get long website loading times when I also get the long shutdown/restart times? ( Those two happen together so far. )

I am curious about the same thing, Morro41.

I am going to mention two software products I have by two different companies because they are related - Avast Internet Security and IObit's Advanced System Care.

First of all regarding aswbIDSAgent, IObit Startup Manager says aswbIDSAgent has a 99.94% "Disable Rate", which I'm guessing means that 99.94% of people that use the IObit software that I have disable aswbIDSAgent?

Next, I'm just going to comment about both products. I love both of these software applications. There UI's and capabilities are superb and convenient. However, I can also have to this about both: they both have HORRIBLE support and customer service. Most of the time I cannot find answers to what I'm looking for on their websites and can rarely find a way to contact either of them. If I find a way to contact them via "filing a ticket" or emailing them, I get responses that seem to be meant for children that have never used a computer before, and that are things I've no doubt already tried and further help on the matter never arrives. Their main support team just appears clueless about the technical aspects of the software. Next, if I can somehow get someone in person by chat or phone, they are just as clueless, and no matter what my technical issue is rather than try to trouble shoot it with me like any other help desk, they aggressively attempt to sell me other products they have. I have gone through this multiple times where I will tell them politely that I am not interested in any new products until the point where I am yelling at them to shut up about it and help me with my specific problem only to never receive any help what so ever. It's infuriating. Again, I love the products and questions I believe should have pretty simple answers from someone who actually knows about the technical aspects of their products, but I've never been allowed to speak to anyone like that. This is just like their response to you about needing a Dev to answer your question. The same question I have right now. Basically, we want to know if we should allow this thing to run or if it's a resource hog and no problem to disable, but you won't get a simple answer like that no matter what you do. LOL. Now this I have to say as far as I can remember is only about IObit rather than Avast too; every time I finally reach someone on the phone for support and they do their bs sales pitch, they insist on sharing my screen, which I personally find very intrusive and unsafe in general. I have told them no in the past only to have them do it anyway. This is a problem that I have with Microsoft because if I turn off Remote Connection in System Properties I expect no one to be able to still connect to my PC, or Avast Firewall should at least protect me from it, but no. It seems like anyone that wants to without my permission or not can share my screen. I don't like that at all, but I don't know which of those 3 companies to be more angry with about that problem. However, IObit infuriates me with this and their sales tactics. If I call, I end up not even having my issue directly acknowledged, let alone resolved and left with anxiety, a headache and a sore throat from having to yell at them to stop trying to sell me something. They literally talk over me while I'm telling them "no, I'm not interested" multiple times. Ugh, my heart rate is raised right now just remembering it. LOL.

Anyway, the point is that both Avast and IObit have great products, but HORRIBLE support, and I wish that wasn't the case. We will have to go to a 3rd party to get a straight answer about aswbIDSAgent. If you do find anything out about it, please post it here because at this point, I'm still uncertain as to whether I should disable it in startup or not.

Thank you.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 02:22:38 PM »
-> https://blog.avast.com/the-core-security-components-of-avast-2017

Asyn, that page does do a good job of explaining the overall function of the Behavior Shield, but still doesn't answer the questions about whether or not it is responsible for slower shutdowns, boots and web browsing. Will you elaborate on that please?

Thank you.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 02:25:07 PM »
Asyn, that page does do a good job of explaining the overall function of the Behavior Shield, but still doesn't answer the questions about whether or not it is responsible for slower shutdowns, boots and web browsing. Will you elaborate on that please?
Thank you.
It works fine for me, no slowdowns or other problems here.

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2017, 02:28:58 PM »
Thank you.
It works fine for me, no slowdowns or other problems here.

It definitely seems to slow things down when streaming games live, and I've noticed those same problems that Morro41 described.