Author Topic: Free USB Drive from Microsoft  (Read 43392 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Free USB Drive from Microsoft
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2006, 07:38:36 PM »
Hahaha !!! Yes, it looks it would... the biggest problem is because I know many of my US friends never received it either... and they said "US ONLY".

Other question pops-out... why did they include all other countries in that drop down menu (during the registration process) when they knew in the beginning that they will not send it outside US ?  ::)  ::)  ::)
Another fine example of trustworthy computing offer it to everyone, gather the information. then tell everyone it is US Only Limited stocks also. It makes you wonder just how many they ordered.

Another trustworthy computing issue, MS adding Windows genuine Advantage nagware into the Critical security updates in the Windows Update auto updates function.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2006, 07:40:48 PM »
I agree with you Sasha Microsoft is just making more enemies, it wouldn't be a huge deal for them to send USB drives to Europe or Canada and Canada is next to the US. It is ridicules but there is nothing any of us can do about it.

True Justin, so true I agree...

But the problem is, I am not one of those who like to bash on Microsoft. I look at everything as much realistic as possible. So what if they make so much money ? They deserved it, they killed themselves till they got where they are right now. I know, not everything in their business is "clean" and "pure", but no one can say they didn't deserve and worked hard to get to this point.
People tend to pick on Bill Gates and his collegues etc... but no one takes into consideration how much money those people give in charities, for hungry people in Africa and all around the World, helping sick kids, helping kids without parents and much more. And it's not a hoax, I've seen few documentaries dedicated to what Bill Gates does and how he started... his whole path. So people need to think about those things too...
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2006, 07:57:20 PM »
Howdy Sasha ! Congratulations on the good news
"There is another update... my precious wife just got updated, and right now she's at version 8.5 weeks "
;D

O.K. this USB Drive. I remember filling out the application form , and getting a red * asking for my Zip code. After 3 or 4 attempts of putting in my personal details , address etc. it seemed I was being scammed ; in Australia we have 'Post Codes' , plus no cities outside the U.S. were in the menu. One of those frustrating loops ending nowhere  ::)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2006, 08:00:14 PM »
Hello Abraxas my friend ! Thanks !!!  ;D

Yes, something smells fishy in here  ;D ;D ;D

But hey... who knows... maybe they will realize they screwed us and they will decide to give us  Windows Vista for free whet it finally comes out  ;D   ;D   ;D
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2006, 08:07:51 PM »
" But hey... who knows... maybe they will realize they screwed us and they will decide to give us  Windows Vista for free whet it finally comes out  ;D ;D ;D "

We can be hopeful , plus a P.C. that runs Vista would be cool too . ;D

mauserme

« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2006, 09:05:55 PM »
Just received my email from Microsoft.

Seems I'm OK because I'm in the US but, alas, supplies are depleted.

Maybe they're just short on funds this month  ;D

justin1278

« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2006, 09:23:02 PM »
Maybe they're just short on funds this month  ;D

Ya that'll be the day.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2006, 12:44:50 AM »
I've just sent the following e-mail to my friends at Microsoft:

Dear Microsoft:
You sure know how to make a Microsoft basher out of Microsoft lover.
On March 2, 2006 I applied for the free USB drive you offered.
At the time I applied for it, I was told it would take between 6-8 weeks
for delivery. I've been patient.
Today, almost 12 weeks since I've applied, you sent me a nice love letter
letting me know that the offer was only good for US residents.
Did you think that I forgot where I live or don't you know that
New Mexico is one of our 50 states even if I sometimes get mail with
extra postage attached......
I was also informed that the offer was only good for as long as supplies lasted.
Why does it take you 12 weeks to discover that something I should have received 4 weeks ago
is no longer available?

Since in this case, your customer relations have antagonized literally thousand if not millions of your
loyal customer base, I suggest that you either find some more of those USB drives, or find something else
meaningful to pass on to all those of us who have waited patiently.

Your "up to now" loyal customer.
Sincerely,

I'll let you know if and what they reply.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 12:46:45 AM by bob3160 »
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

justin1278

« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2006, 12:50:07 AM »
Nice letter Bob but I highly doubt that they will reply.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2006, 01:04:03 AM »
I liked this part the best:

New Mexico is one of our 50 states even if I sometimes get mail with
extra postage attached......

LOL  ;D  ;D

I have one friend who asked me: "...I don't get it, what's the difference between New Mexico and Mexico ? Does it look more futuristic or what ?..."

People don't have a clue about our planet, countries, cultures, anything... that's pretty sad. Before I left Croatia, and finally made the best move in my whole life, moved here to Canada, another friend told me: "... I don't know about you, but I would never ever move anywhere up North close to Sweden or Norway..." Unbelievable... but we always have those gems...

Best of all, here where I live, I am even more on the South than they are in my old town back in Croatia... believe it or not, but that's true.

neal62

« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2006, 03:24:09 AM »
Well, I just received my glorious e-mail from Microsoft. They stated that the supply of USB drives was unfortunately depleted along with the info that you had to be in the U.S. to receive it. Oh well, like the rest of you I didn't really expect them to keep their word anyway.  :)

justin1278

« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2006, 05:26:24 AM »
It is very disapointing, I wonder if anyone will even get the drive.

MFB

« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2006, 07:54:16 PM »
Hey everyone, you should read this article about it here   :-\

CharleyO

« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2006, 09:16:48 PM »

Thanks for that post, Turkey.

I recieved the email mentioned at that link from MicroSoft last week.