Author Topic: Picture Viewer has been added to 'Games'  (Read 2302 times)

REDACTED

Picture Viewer has been added to 'Games'
« on: February 08, 2017, 04:01:52 PM »
Since yesterday's update every time I open a picture (jpg) full screen and close it I get an Avast message:

"LViewFullscreen has been added to the list of games - Undo"

I have no idea what this means. I don't think I need a viewer I have been using for donkey's years added to any list. I don't know what the list is and how do I stop it.

Sadly another example (not limited to Avast) of people fiddling, I fear... because they can  :(

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: Picture Viewer has been added to 'Games'
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 04:15:45 PM »
Just click "Undo" for any app you don't want it to fall into Game Mode. This data is then feed to the "cloud" where avast! team is processing the requests and will over time improve this detection so avast! won't be adding things like this to Game Mode anymore.

Also, as you clock Undo, that already applies to your system. avast! will never again add that app to your own Game Mode list. You can still add it manually if you desire so later on.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 12:40:28 AM »
I only have two games on my computer, Minesweeper and Solitaire. I have never needed a 'Game Mode' before.

The only programs that have triggered this have been dedicated picture viewing programs. Useful programs but not exactly games.

And before I removed my main picture viewer from the list I got the hour glass icon every time I opened a picture.

I see from other posts that this 'improvement' is recognised as a blooper.

Offline Hried

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 01:43:26 AM »
Did you get that picture viewer added again even after you removed it? Multiple times?

We're working on the game detections and just released a major update that should deal with the most common false positives. Should arrive with next VPS update. Setting to turn off automatic detections is included (just don't have the strings for that yet, might look funny for a day).

Did removing the picture viewer from game list help with the hourglass problem? In case it did, can you try adding it again and just disabling the "Hide intrusive application pop-ups" to see if it helps? Thanks.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 01:52:42 AM by Hried »

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 10:01:41 AM »
Did you get that picture viewer added again even after you removed it?

I don't know. When I found the Games settings, I removed the picture viewer then turned game mode off. Hourglass disappeared.

Just checked and Game Mode seemed to have turned itself on. Changed that and got the message a couple of things need fixing. I clicked on that hoping to see what that included. Just got a message saying 'fixed, need to restart computer'

Would it be so hard to tell us what Avast is doing each time?

Offline Hried

• Avast team
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 12:09:57 PM »
Turning off Game Mode from it's Performance screen should not include it into 'things needing fixing'. Previously it wasn't synchronized with its state in Settings->Components, now it is. If you can reproduce this (ideally with a video of that) or the hourglass problem, I'll be happy to look into it. Please do one restart before that so all updates can be applied first.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 12:11:48 PM by Hried »

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 03:54:10 PM »
I don't know what was included in 'things that need fixing' - I just happened to notice that line while I was wandering, like a lost soul, around the Avast interface.

I have no idea if I can reproduce it as I don't know how I got it in the first place and I got rid of it by accident. I know I don't want to try.

As I put i another post, before the last update, I could happily forget Avast as it minded its own business.