Author Topic: Avast Master Password  (Read 16165 times)

REDACTED

Avast Master Password
« on: February 12, 2017, 11:34:08 AM »
Looks like I've forgotten my Master Password. I can log on to my Avast account no problem but am unable to access my passwords. Anyone know how I can reset my Master Password?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast Master Password
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 12:16:05 PM »

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 09:10:25 PM »
At the moment I can't do anything with my passwords. Is there a way of deleting my master password account and setting it up again from scratch?

Thanks.

Steve

Offline Tomáš Hellebrand

• Avast team
  • Product owner of Avast Passwords
    • Avast Passwords
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 03:53:22 PM »
Hi steve352,

if you did not turn on synchronization, you can reset Passwords by yourself. Go to Settings / Passwords. Cancel the Master Password dialog and you should see link "Forgot your Master Password?" on top of the setting window. Simply click on that.

If you had synchronization turned on, we need to reset it on our side. If this is your case, send me private message and I will reset it for you.
Tomas Hellebrand
Product owner of Avast Passwords

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 06:41:52 PM »
Thanks Tomas. Password deleted and recreated.

Appreciate your help.

Steve

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 08:46:36 PM »
Hi Tomas,

I am experiencing this issue also and can not find any means of removing the sync account from the Avast server except by the means you have offered here. Can you help?

Thanks,

Seth

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 10:01:39 AM »
Am I going to have to delete all my saved passwords in order to get back into my passwords? Sounds like a sick joke. Your software on my computer holds the only copies of original essential passwords. I say original passwords because starting Day II, I've been locked out of them and haven't been able to add new ones. Furthermore, you only saved my passwords on my default browser. I have other browsers which I can't use to go anywhere that is password protected. I have a terrible memory and don't remember if I was obliged to use a master password or if it was optional. If I chose that option myself, I was a damn fool, considering my bad memory, which is why I got your password protection to begin with. Not only is my memory getting worse but passwords that websites will accept are getting more complicated. My account is not synchronized. Is there anything you can do from your end or walk me through on my end to save my passwords? The choice between deleting my passwords (and starting all over at every website with an even more complicated and forgettable password) and accepting the status quo are equally dismal. Your customers are allowed to be stupid and forgetful. That's why we hired you to remember and the fact that you haven't come up with a solution says a lot about your own wisdom. Or have you? Can you offer me a way out? Even if I do get them back, will you force me to come up with another master password or will that be optional? If I'm willing to take the risk inherent in not using a master password, why can't you let me? Frankly, if I were rating your password protection, I'd give it zero stars out of 5. It's been a nightmare. I've had it for almost a year (I think) and been locked out since day two. Every new password I can't add compounds the misery. At least you should warn Not recommended for people with bad memories even though the whole concept of storing passwords implies poor memories.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 12:00:40 PM by forgetful1 »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 10:24:17 AM »
Stay in your original thread and read.
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=200785.msg1387219#msg1387219

You already have been told what options there are.
If you can't remember the master password, write it down next time.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 08:59:16 PM »
Guessing Tomas is not going to respond. Anybody have an idea how I can get this reset on the Avast server end?

Thanks

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 09:02:25 PM »
As avast need to reset things, contact avast and ask them.

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 09:09:04 PM »
Thanks Eddy,

Now for the dumb question, how best to contact them?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 09:10:48 PM »
Create a ticket.

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 09:21:45 PM »
I can not find where to create a ticket as I  am using the free version at this point; directs me to the forums. Wanting to buy, but thinking it should work first... even if I did break it myself.

Thanks in advance for the help.

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 09:42:40 PM »

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2017, 04:52:15 PM »
 I can't do anything with my passwords. Is there a way of deleting my master password account and setting it up again from scratch?