Author Topic: Something creates volumeInformation.exe on my USB Flash Drive - how to prevent ?  (Read 17854 times)

Offline TrueIndian

• Poster
Yes Pondus This thing is probably using the lnk trick to make the user execute the file.

Offline TrueIndian

• Poster
FYI. File has been submitted to avast! to be added to DB  :)

REDACTED

FYI. File has been submitted to avast! to be added to DB  :)
What does FYI mean? You mean the website virustotal.com, where I have uploaded the malicious file "volumeInformation.exe", submitted it to Avast, to ad it to new virus definitions?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
FYI = For Your Information

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot

REDACTED

Yesterday I have analyzed what happened and why.

Everything began on Friday, when I plugged my USB Flash drive into the PC of my colleague. He had a malware on PC. It infected my flash drive. My flash drive infected my pc, pc of my wife and pc of my mother in law (we have visited her yesterday).

I though what could I do to remove the malware as soon as possible, before it turned into a terrible monster like ransomware etc. One good idea crossed my mind. I could restore windows to a state before the event.  So I did it on the PC of my wife and I think it helped. I tested it with a Flash Drive and the drive was not infected anymore. I hope it will stay clean. I will keep my eye on it.

Now I want to do same on my pc and the pc  of my mother in law.

@Pondus   thank you for recommending Flash Drive guard MCShield. It is a great software. will install it everywhere.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 07:44:14 AM by dafarulia »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
One good idea crossed my mind. I could restore windows to a state before the event.
Restore points dont clean malware, it at best prevent it from starting up, until something run that file again

@Pondus   thank you for recommending Flash Drive guard MCShield. It is a great software. will install it everywhere.
Yepp, you should install it at all family computers

You find more info about it here
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=196168.0
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=104046

REDACTED

One good idea crossed my mind. I could restore windows to a state before the event.
Restore points dont clean malware, it at best prevent it from starting up, until something run that file again

So what could I do? Avast was not able to recognize it.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
You have been told 3(!) times what to do and we are still waiting for you to do so.

REDACTED

I made this logs after I have restored Windows 7 on the PC of my wife to the earlier point (two weeks earlier).

Offline TrueIndian

• Poster
File is now being detected.

Thanks the VT links pondus and dafarulia...you just helped avast protect us ;)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 11:55:39 AM by TI199 »

REDACTED

File is now being detected.

Thanks the VT links pondus and dafarulia...you just helped avast protect us ;)

https://virustotal.com/en/file/0e239235388c2c6d015c942dd66acf46580d897041bf218cb3a7a136c733eee8/analysis/1487081759/
 it is funny to watch on virustotal.com  how the amount of antiviruses detected the malware is rising...

So as I understand you have forwarded the file I have uploaded to virustotal.com to Avast R&D? I am happy I helped to protect others.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
it is funny to watch on virustotal.com  how the amount of antiviruses detected the malware is rising...
That should mean that the first VT detections (and MCShield) was correct

@dbrisendine  is probably online tomorrow and will check your logs

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
What is this for:  127.0.0.1 activate.adobe.com   ?????
Win7 x32 Ult. SP1, Brain 2.0 / Win10 x64, Brain2.5
My help is always free but if you would like to help encourage me or show your thanks -----> DONATE

REDACTED

What is this for:  127.0.0.1 activate.adobe.com   ?????
I do not know.  It was a PC of my wife. I'll check when I go back home today.