Author Topic: AshServ and startup  (Read 4573 times)

gtaillandier

AshServ and startup
« on: March 03, 2006, 09:03:41 PM »
Hello everybody

I have avast! home edition and my question is :
when I start my PC, ashServ needs almost 80% of CPU for some minutes. Can someone tell me what AshServ do when my PC is being started ?

Sorry for my english, but I'm French.

Sincerely.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: AshServ and startup
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 09:24:13 PM »
Can someone tell me what AshServ do when my PC is being started ?
Scans the startup programs, icon files, redirected/open files, etc.
Maybe you can try Startup Delayer (freeware) that controls the windows startup (Windows 98\Me\2k\XP) that does not follow a strict order. You can set some applications to start very after the boot (logon) itself.  ;)
The best things in life are free.

gtaillandier

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 10:18:23 AM »
Thank you for your link to Startup Delayer, I've downloaded and tested.

About AshServ : can you tell me why ashserv scans startup programs, icon files ... if it's possible to launch ashquick with parameters *MEMORY, *STARTUP
( refer to http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=5716.0 )

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 03:03:11 PM »
Can you tell me why ashserv scans startup programs, icon files ... if it's possible to launch ashquick with parameters *MEMORY, *STARTUP
Sure I can:

ashQuick is an on-demmand scanner (non-resident) that does not allow parameters. You're defining areas or what is being scanned.

ashServ is the engine, the kernel or the antivirus. A resident service that scans what you configured in its settings. You must 'disable' the scanning of running programs to avoid ashServ to scan them, but, in other words, avoiding running programs to be scanned is the same as DISABLE all your antivirus protection... so... we can't do anything different... the antivirus can't know if a startup program is legit or a virus... it should scan them to know...

You can add the startup programs to the exclusion lists (on-access at least, the Standard Shield properties).

gtaillandier

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 08:12:29 PM »
I've understood the difference between Ashquick and AshServ.

Just one question : why not add a checkbox in the settings to give the user the choice if Ashserv must scan programs when starting.
When my PC starts, I must wait more than 2 minutes before I can do something because of Ashserv. It's too long...

If I want to scan the programs that are lauched at startup, I can scan the disk.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 08:46:14 PM »
What is your standard shield sensitivity (default is Normal) ?
Increase that and you will see an increase in files scanned and boot duration.

Check the programs that are starting at boot, only allow those that are essential and have to start on boot to start. Many programs when they are installed set themselves to start on boot, media programs for instance, you only need them if you are about to open a media file.

Do you have any other security programs that run on boot ?
This can cause double scanning as avast scans the files it wants to open and scan.

What is your firewall ?
They can be quite chatty opening many files or have plug-ins that are acting in a similar way to security programs, this could also result in double scanning.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gtaillandier

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 09:56:58 PM »
All shields sensitivity are set to high unless P2P which is to to custom.

At startup, Prevx1 is lauched.
I have ZoneAlarm Pro 6.1.744

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 10:21:10 PM »
Try lowering the sensitivity to Normal and see what the Scanned Total in standard shield is. Compare that to the scanned total after boot with standard shield on High. On High it will scan files that under normal circumstances would be classed as low or no virus risk, .log, .ini files etc. which are often accessed/written to during boot.

If you could let us know the scanned total on High and Normal after boot (mine is between 250-300 when the boot (avast icon stops rotating) has completed with standard shield on Normal.

You should be adequately protected with the default setting Normal, but like most things in life it is a compromise, performance against protection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 02:12:41 AM »
All shields sensitivity are set to high unless P2P which is to to custom.
At startup, Prevx1 is lauched.
I have ZoneAlarm Pro 6.1.744
Can you try just uninstalling PrevX and see what you get?
If you low the sensitivity to Normal the boot process will speed up a lot...

gtaillandier

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 06:39:31 PM »
I've changed the sensibitity of all shields ( except P2P ) to Normal : and it's better.
I can launch any application faster than yesterday.

Is there any advantage to set the different sensibities to High ?

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 06:57:44 PM »
Is there any advantage to set the different sensibities to High ?
Normal is the best equilibrium between protection and performance.
High will scan all open/created/modified file in your HDD. Normal will only scan running executables.