Author Topic: The "mechanics" of VRDB generation  (Read 2543 times)

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
The "mechanics" of VRDB generation
« on: March 09, 2006, 07:59:25 PM »
I'm set for "when idle" generation.  I get the impression that if generation is interrupted by input/output, when it restarts it has to do over again whatever file it was in the middle of.  That's probably why, if there's lots of interruptions, VRDB generation can take a lot longer than if you just sit back and let it do its "thing".

Out of curiosity, on a typical XP (home) system, how big is the largest single item (file) that needs to be processed?

Oh, and another querstion just occurred to me -- does the VRDB save repair info for just system files, or also for third-party executables like utilities or games?
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: The "mechanics" of VRDB generation
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 02:23:46 AM »
I'm set for "when idle" generation.  I get the impression that if generation is interrupted by input/output, when it restarts it has to do over again whatever file it was in the middle of.  That's probably why, if there's lots of interruptions, VRDB generation can take a lot longer than if you just sit back and let it do its "thing".
Mike, I won't think that just one file in the middle will be guilty here... I'll think that many interruptions are due to slow VRDB genereation at iddle mode.

Out of curiosity, on a typical XP (home) system, how big is the largest single item (file) that needs to be processed?
Generally, executables are not that big (except the setup files), but they are many in the system.
I can't guess how big it could be, some Mb is reasonable.

Oh, and another querstion just occurred to me -- does the VRDB save repair info for just system files, or also for third-party executables like utilities or games?
All executables, including third-party ones  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: The "mechanics" of VRDB generation
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 07:25:15 PM »
Generally, executables are not that big (except the setup files), but they are many in the system.
I can't guess how big it could be, some Mb is reasonable.

Thanks, Tech.  :)  I visualized a situation analogous to having your connection fail 98 percent through a multi-MB download, and your downloader isn't capable of picking up where it left off so has to start all over again.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent