Author Topic: SiteAdvisor plug in  (Read 13544 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
SiteAdvisor plug in
« on: March 03, 2006, 09:33:52 PM »
Hello forum members,

Some of us like the DrWeb browser hyperlink-scanner plug-in,
but there are also other ways to evaluate the danger of clicking the wrong way: SiteAdvisor, a free plug-in as well:
http://www.siteadvisor.com/download/ie.html

Who uses it in IE or FF?

polonus

PS So you don't have an excuse now clicking for malware.
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

CharleyO

Re: SiteAdvisor plug in
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 12:04:07 AM »

Polonus ... will this work along with Dr Web installed at the same time?

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 06:12:17 PM »
Hello CharleyO,

Yes the two add-ons beautifully go together, they are additional. Ad-advisor gives a report on the pre-scan on the Ad-advisor servers, it sits down next to NoScript, and Adblock, and it adds a green light on the Google or Yahoo searchsite, next to your results, you could have an extra check-up on these results with the DrWeb hyperlink plug-in too, then you know from the first if the downloads are reliable, and how many pop-ups you can expect clicking that link, the next one tells if the scripts are ok, the html code is OK, whether there are re-directs.
I only wait for the ported site-advisor plug-in for my favourite browser that is Flock, but FF and IE have these two together on my comp. (FF and Flock are ported versions on my USB stick)
So the answer to your question is a full YES. Tried it out.
What does not go together is SiteAdvisor and Bumblesearch.
So I took Bumblesearch off.

polonus

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 09:44:38 PM »
Polonus, to know only how many pop-ups will be opened... isn't it that much to make me install this software. I can't see that easy what is the worth of installing it if I have DrWeb hyperlink plug-in and avast! WebShield... What am I missing?
The best things in life are free.

CharleyO

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 10:54:55 PM »

Downloaded and installed ... thanks, polonus!    :D

Tech ... with the Google search examples given on the webpage after installing, it gives you green checkmarks for good sites and red X's for sites that may contain pop-ups, links to bad sites, etc.
~~~~~~
Edit:
You can also click on the green checkmarks/red X's to visit the Site Advisor page for that link before going to the link.
~~~~~~
It also adds a green button to IE so that settings and such can be adjusted. This button will turn red if you have landed on a bad or suspect website. You also get a quick information "balloon" on a bad/suspect site at this time. I wanted to give a screen shot of the balloon but it does not stay long enough for that.

Also, from the Site Advisor button, you can view info about a bad/suspect website. I had this one in my Favorites for wallpaper. Here is an example and the purple to the left is part of the website behind part of the Site Advisor information webpage:

« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 09:00:33 PM by CharleyO »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 11:56:52 PM »
Hi Charley O and Tech,

Well Charley has seen the benefit of this rather tiny install, it is really giving diferent information than DrWeb, but thetwo security things really work fine together to enhace your in-browser security. I for one am glad I found it, it was advised by a Dutch security site. In fact it is good to have DrWeb there in case where SiteAdvisor did not map the site beforehand.
There is no comparison with in browser security from the Webshield, because that means protection "after the fact", and with DrWeb's and SiteAdvisor there is no need to even visit the baddies. I think these two initiatives are good not to "trod on" spyware, adware, and other malware.

polonus

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 12:02:55 AM »
There is no comparison with in browser security from the Webshield, because that means protection "after the fact", and with DrWeb's and SiteAdvisor there is no need to even visit the baddies.
Polonus, I'll download and give it a try based in your report.
Anyway, WebShield is NOT 'after the fact' absolutelly. In fact, the only antivirus that offer protection BEFORE the file is even saved  ;)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006, 12:08:59 AM »
Hi Tech,

I agree with you that WebShield protects you from the malware, because it fences it in or alerts to it, with the pre-mapping of hyperlinks there is no need to even go there. I agree with you that you cannot do without the Webshield protection. All three means of protection do not compete, they are additional.
Here is an example of a questionable link in a German security forum site: http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/protecus.de?safesearch

SiteAdvisor can also be used as a search engine plug in.

polonus
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 12:42:23 AM by polonus »

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 10:23:05 AM »
Yep good addon been using it for months now ;D
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 02:27:12 PM »
Polunus... I'm testing and very impressed with it. Thanks.
Do you know any way to use it with Maxthon browser?
Why doesn't it show into the IE pluggins?

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2006, 04:40:24 PM »
Hi Tech,

The revieuw of it is good,look here: http://www.dozleng.com/updates/topic8444
The service will stay free, and there will be a paid for pro version.
Very interesting are the site-reviews from users. But just as with other things it is not the last and final solution. Additional protection in browsing is needed, like the DrWeb pre-hyperling scanner, blocklists, AdBlock Plus + G updater, ShowIp. NoScript.
Thanks to the beta testers and various input, siteadvisor is here.
Glad in-browser security is establishing itself, although it is a little late.
But we have to be aware all the time, good scripting is not taught to-day with security in mind, so there is a lot of coding in software still around ready with bugs in it  to be exploited, and remember the old motto "Nihil tam munitum quod non expugnari pecuna possit" or "No fortress is so strong that it cannot be taken by money" (Cicero).

polonus

CharleyO

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2006, 01:50:18 AM »

I am now a Site Advisor reviewer.    :)

I am not sure how many reviews I will do ... 2 so far because they were on my favorites list.    :o   I feel lucky that only 2 were rated bad.    ;)

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2006, 03:49:03 PM »
I've been using Site Advisor for over a month. It's been updated twice in that time, so the list of reviewed sites is growing. At first I thought of this as a bit of a novelty, now if I see a Red display on a site , or a page of search results,  I immediately get the  feeling  a threat is lurking. As you don't initiate the queery, like with Dr.Web link scan, it's easy to take for granted as part of the browser interface. If a site does show Red though it certainly prompts a response in my heart beat .  ;D  Probably 5 alerts so far , on web pages.
CharleyO:
"I am now a Site Advisor reviewer..."   :)
That's another good feature, you can help add to the List .

I've changed my opinion of Download.com , quite a few of their links are marked Red. Probably more so for the high advertising and tracking  cookie quotas. I'm sure they wouldn't be too happy with being rated as a pest, so this factor could even make some sites try to get a green rating. Depends how many people use Site Advisor whether Sites take offence to their rating , and take any action.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 04:17:27 PM by Abraxas »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2006, 07:42:58 PM »
Hi Abraxas,

I think the fact that more and more inside-browser security is coming in shows that there is a demand for this. Siteadvisor was born because some people found that AV scanning does not show all the bad sides of being on the internet: tracking cookies, dangerous links and directs, spamming, questionable downloads, scumware. Of course blocking lists and the main three anti-spyware programs help, but you know the Internet is a quick changing landscape, and linkrot is not of to-day.
What we need, and maybe some of the players now finally understand is a very strict certification to protect users of a site. This coming in on downloads could be very helpful. The stealth surfing like I do as I write this posting from a browser inside a mem stick is helpful, using a browser inside a virtual sandbox to be thrown out per session can be a next step.

Security is found in an accumulation of security layers, also with in-browser safety. Adblocking, Scriptblocking, Anti-phisking certs, etc. etc.

But siteadvisor is a good start. Educating the man, woman or child behind the keyboard is the only way to go, and they need all the technical assistance that can be brought into the insecure theater the Internet is.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 07:45:19 PM by polonus »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2006, 07:48:20 PM »
Hi folks,

Siteadvisor corrects its view if bad reviews come in. I could respond on a question about spywareterminator, according to two new reviewers'reports, see here:
http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/spywareterminator.com?safesearch

First it had an all green, but so you see this can change.
I must say I like this, no I put it wrongly I like like this as a malware fighter. Siteadvisor for me is recommended add-on now.

polonus