Author Topic: Problem with new AVAST version and Windows 7 update  (Read 12012 times)

Offline avragorn

Problem with new AVAST version and Windows 7 update
« on: February 14, 2017, 11:56:28 AM »
Hello,

Since I installed the new version of AVAST free edition (17.1.2286), windows update gets automatically regularly disabled. I am having windows 7 64 bits family edition.
I have a bad feeling that AVAST blocks windows update each time windows update starts searching for updates and disables it.

A have found another topic about this problem, Eddy replied :

avast doesn't disable/enables the Windows update settings.

The problem is very likely a known bug in the action center.
Reset the WMI and see if it solves the problem.

This problem is certainly a known bug in the action center .... but why did this problem start on my computer right after I installed the newer AVAST version ? And why the people who uninstall the newest version of AVAST and install an older version of AVAST don't have the problem any longer ?

Thank you very much :)

- avragorn -

ps : I have lots to do today, so I will maybe be not able to check your replies before tonight, it is 11:55am here, so I will be back after 6-7pm.
My configuration : Windows 7 Premium - INTEL I5 2500K - NVIDIA/MSI GTX 1050 TI 4gb - AVAST FREE EDITION 22.5.6015

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Problem with new AVAST version and Windows 7 update
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 11:59:18 AM »
My response was about a wrongly reported status in the action/security center, not about if updates were turned off or not.

Offline avragorn

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 12:02:32 PM »
Ok ;)
I have this status reported in the action/security center too, but it is not wrongly reported, it really gets disabled, it is the reason why I notice that windows update gets disabled. I have to enable windows update at least 6 times a day since I installed the new AVAST version.
My configuration : Windows 7 Premium - INTEL I5 2500K - NVIDIA/MSI GTX 1050 TI 4gb - AVAST FREE EDITION 22.5.6015

Offline anthoniusii

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 12:09:06 PM »
In my case (newest Avast Free update + W 7 64 Ultimate) when I chose full antivirus scan it "loads" for hours without starting the scan.
I had to restart the full scan more than 10 times to finally see the cycle that indicates that scan was started.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 03:09:24 PM »
In my case (newest Avast Free update + W 7 64 Ultimate) when I chose full antivirus scan it "loads" for hours without starting the scan.
I had to restart the full scan more than 10 times to finally see the cycle that indicates that scan was started.
Known problem. Avast is already working on it.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 06:03:29 PM »
My UI failed to load and AV is not responding - Found out anti-virus and Sheilds are disabled. Nothing in Avast tool box to enable them. Any help to solve this would be appreciated - as not very tec-minded, jargonless, pease!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 06:13:19 PM »
First search this webboard as what you can try is mentioned in several threads already.
If you can't find the answer, start your own thread and provide details as your problem has nothing to with the topic of this thread.

Offline avragorn

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 11:59:00 PM »
Well, I was mistaken, I thought it wasn't wrongly reported but actually it was. It just happened again : the flag on the bottom suddenly alerted me, and there was a cross ... I clicked .... It opened a pop-up where it showed windows update disabled. I didn't click, contrary to all the other times. I opened Windows Update through the control panel, and I checked the settings, and Windows Update was not disabled. As soon as I opened the settings of Windows Update showing that it was not disabled, the red cross disappeared from the flag of the bottom bar and it said that there was not any error detected any longer.
So I don't know if it is caused by the newest version of AVAST, or an update of the viruses/infections database, ..... or caused by anything else. All that I know is that it started right after I installed the newest version of AVAST. And I scanned my computer with AVAST, MALWAREBYTE'S ANTIMALWARE and COMBOFIX and there wasn't any malware/virus found.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 12:02:45 AM by avragorn »

Offline avragorn

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 11:25:58 AM »
Hi again,
I posted on the french part of the Microsoft forum (since i'am french, nobody's perfect :D), and we tried many things, and they say that it is not a problem from the WMI but they think that the newest version of AVAST, AVAST 2017 Free edition, causes the problem of the wrong alerts appearing on the white flag on the bottom flag and saying that Windows Update has been disabled.
So I wanted to install again AVAST 2016, I have found an installation file from last august, I uninstalled Avast 2017 with Avast Clear on safe mode ... but when I installed Avast 2016, it immediately installed Avast 2017 instead :( So I have to test with another free antivirus to check if the problem comes from Avast 2017 or not.
On the Microsoft forum, they told me that the problem occurs with a few antiviruses, the users have to change something in the settings to stop the problem.

Offline avragorn

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 02:33:19 PM »
I have maybe found why it causes it, maybe I am wrong, I don't know :

"17.1.2286
2017-02-07

- Improved user interface - simplified navigation, new brand colors, notification center
- Behavior Shield - better protects you against ransomware by monitoring running programs for suspicious behavior
- Game mode - helps reduce distractions and lag times by automatically prioritizing your game’s performance and suspending all unnecessary background notifications and processes while you play
- Free version no longer requires email registration
- Performance improvements - faster webpage loading and app launching thanks to optimized hashing algorithms
- Wi-Fi Inspector - previously called Home Network Security, this feature now detects even more problems and vulnerabilities on both home and public networks
- Passwords - faster UI and improved browser integration
- Real Site - our new name for SecureDNS, which prevents DNS hijacking to help you avoid visiting fake websites
- SafeZone browser - common settings for all modes, faster startup of bank mode, currency converter"

The wrong alerts (that are maybe true) occur right after I stop playing games or after watching videos in full screen. And the wrong alerts automatically stop approximately 15 seconds after I stop playing games or after leaving videos in full screen.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 02:45:33 PM by avragorn »

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 08:14:00 PM »
So, I stumbled upon this via Google. I also ran into the problems the OP described, namely getting notifications from Windows Update stating it was disabled and I had to set up its settings again. This happened several times per day and it kind of drove me crazy.

I'm using Avast Free now and only recently updated from a 2016 build. My current Avast build is 17.2.3419.0. I'm using Win 7 Professional 64 bit.

The other posts in the topic led me to the (newly added) "Game Mode". Avast states that it 'pauses windows updates' for optimal gaming experience. While I appreciated the thought, I suspected this might be related to the problem. I didn't want to completely turn off Game Mode however, so looked for a more specific setting to turn off. And there is one! It is a bit tricky to find if you don't know where to look, but if you navigate (from the Avast main menu) to the 'Performance' tab on the left, then click on 'Game Mode' (with the controller icon) it should show you the games it has recognized. On this screen, click on screwdriver in the top right and it will take you to the settings for Game Mode. Here you can disable 'Pause Windows Updates'. Just to be certain, I also disabled the 'Disable Windows notifications' option at the bottom. I haven't encountered the problem since and will edit this post if the issue still remains.

----
EDIT: The problem actually still persists. :-\ Might simply be because my PC needs a restart after changing these settings. Will update again once I find out what's going on.
----

Finally, explanations of the different settings in Avast's Game Mode can be found here: https://help.avast.com/en/av_free/17/performancegaming.html

I hope this was useful for anyone experiencing this. It is one of those strange things you don't immediately associate with an update of your virus scanner.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 08:47:14 PM by Pretendeavor »

Offline Metal347

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2017, 05:45:20 PM »
if you navigate (from the Avast main menu) to the 'Performance' tab on the left, then click on 'Game Mode' (with the controller icon) it should show you the games it has recognized. On this screen, click on screwdriver in the top right and it will take you to the settings for Game Mode. Here you can disable 'Pause Windows Updates'.
For me, this solved the problems with Windows updates (now 4 days without this problem). Windows 7 64 bits.