Author Topic: Sygate Personal Firewall Tray Icon Patcher (nicer icons)  (Read 4290 times)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Sygate Personal Firewall Tray Icon Patcher (nicer icons)
« on: July 16, 2005, 07:53:46 PM »
This patch is designed only for Sygate Personal Firewall 5.6.0.2808 (Freeware version). Don't bother to patch Pro version because patcher will refuse to do anything (safety block). I mentioned this so you won't download this patch for nothing

I was tired of ugly Sygate tray icon when you encountered port scan.
Tray icon has broken transparency and ugly warning icon.
I have fixed the transparency problem and created a much nicer warning tray icon
(red arrows with small yellow exclamation mark flashing next to them).

Advanced version and CRC32 comparison mechanism in this patch will make sure that you won't patch the wrong version of Sygate Personal Firewall.
Backup of patched executable will also be automatically created in Sygate installation directory.

I was watching those crappy icons for 2 years! (lazy Sygate pogrammers ::) ). But now i made an end to this.
The executable is not hacked (ok not in the way you might think) to collect any info,i just fixed (edited) two icons that were broken/ugly.
Patch is also perfectly safe because i use it too.
If anyone doesn't trust me you're free to ignore this patch.

DOWNLOAD:
http://freeweb.siol.net/razor256/downloads/SygateTrayPatch.zip

If you'll ever encounter new Sygate version that is not yet covered by my patch you're free to contact me and i'll make a new patch that matches correct versions and CRC32 values.

RejZoR
eXcessive Software

PS: I'll post this patch on my site soon,so stay tuned ;D
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: Sygate Personal Firewall Tray Icon Patcher (nicer icons)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2005, 10:56:01 PM »
OK, that's good, but I believe that it would be very useful to post screenshot of all icon states, and allow people to see how everything looks like before they patch their firewall. I'm not saying 'cause I don't believe those icons you made are nice, but because of all individuals who are willing to install it and they would like to see what are they installing before they actually do it. I also believe, that once they install it, there is no easy way to return to original state in case they don't like those changes (believe me, there is always someone who will complain no matter how great those changes are).

Once, I did exactly same thing with Outpost Freeware and it's system tray icons using Resource Hacker. It's perfectly safe if you don't mess around with other stuff you don't understand.

Please, if possible shot those screenshots  ;D . I don't use Sygate anymore, I use ZoneAlarm, but I would also like to see how everything looks like now.

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 09:57:08 AM »
This is how it looks before patching (original Sygate tray icons)*

And this is how it looks after patching (my fixed tray icons)*

*Both images are split in two parts,which shows both states of the flashing tray icon when attack/port scan is encountered.
Notice the ugly gray square around it on original tray icon? And some ugly blue cross to show that port scan is going on?

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 03:58:01 PM »
Yes, exactly... I bet they used PNGs, and they have no clue that Windows XP can't read Alpha transparency channel from PNGs (btw, that's solved in Longhorn now, yeepee... Windows have transparent glass look).

And again yes... second original icon with that blueish something "X" looks so squashed, and it doesn't represent actually anything... your both icons are great, and looking much, much better.

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Kirby

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 04:49:17 AM »
Actually....I was trying to find a way to disable the port scan notification in the tray :P  But these icons will at least make it less painfull to look at

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 08:24:07 AM »
Actually there is pretty easy way to turn of those notifications.
Just right-click on Sygate tray icon and select Options.
Under general tab you just have to add check before "Hide notification messages" entry (you can't miss it). This will ONLY hide those portscan popups and not program access dialogs :)

darkultra

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 02:08:32 PM »
That is much better thank you, those lazy Sygate programmers :)

How about replacing them with these icons that are high-colored and antialiased, these for exmaple:

http://jooh.no/web/Sygate_icon/Sygate_icon.rar

(I used mobsync.png from Windows Vista)