Author Topic: AVAST MODERATORS - Have you Discontinued the Free Education Products ????  (Read 16505 times)

REDACTED

To AVAST Moderators,

The Educational community needs a YES or NO answer to "Have you discontinued the Free for Education Program" for school's ???
It appears that many schools are trying to renew our licenses and after having left repeated phone calls and Emails to both "Educational and Business Departments" none of the schools have gotten a response !!!!  Why is there suddenly no communition ???

Almost a year ago to this date 02-15-2017, AVAST educational users were told on this forum to wait because you were moving to a "Cloud-Based" model for AVAST, so now all the schools using this program want to get some solid answers........

1. Is the "Free for Education" program still in existance ( YES or NO ) ???

2. If it is, what has to happen for us to get our free licensing back, and what changes must be made to the servers and software ???

I don't feel that it's fair to pitch this program to schools, and then have already understaffed I.T. and Tight/No Budget schools get all their computer's on the AVAST system, have them sales-pitch the AVAST product to their staff and students, and then all of a sudden, just drop them like a hot potatoe with absoutely no warning or communication. Please man-up and give us some solid answers !!!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: AVAST MODERATORS - Have you Discontinued the Free Education Products ????
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 11:12:48 PM »
1]
As far as I (and helpers here) know, the answer is no.
There is only a discount now.

2]
If the free licenses are gone, you can't get them back ofcourse.
And it is not just with the cloud version(s) for educational institutions, also for all others.
Only those who registered when it was free can still use it.
All others have to pay now.

About changes to servers/software, nothing need to change at all as it seems now.
As it seems, educational institutions only need to buy a new license when the current one expires.

And I fully agree that it is time for avast to notify users about changes like this, and I mean up-front not when they take effect or afterwards.
Currently it is like (and not just for the EDU license), oh wait... "There is something we should have told you months ago"
It is one of the several reasons why I don't use anything from avast for over a year anymore.

REDACTED

Did you ever get an answer to this from AVAST?

To AVAST Moderators,

The Educational community needs a YES or NO answer to "Have you discontinued the Free for Education Program" for school's ???
It appears that many schools are trying to renew our licenses and after having left repeated phone calls and Emails to both "Educational and Business Departments" none of the schools have gotten a response !!!!  Why is there suddenly no communition ???

Almost a year ago to this date 02-15-2017, AVAST educational users were told on this forum to wait because you were moving to a "Cloud-Based" model for AVAST, so now all the schools using this program want to get some solid answers........

1. Is the "Free for Education" program still in existance ( YES or NO ) ???

2. If it is, what has to happen for us to get our free licensing back, and what changes must be made to the servers and software ???

I don't feel that it's fair to pitch this program to schools, and then have already understaffed I.T. and Tight/No Budget schools get all their computer's on the AVAST system, have them sales-pitch the AVAST product to their staff and students, and then all of a sudden, just drop them like a hot potatoe with absoutely no warning or communication. Please man-up and give us some solid answers !!!

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
No official answer, however the discounts for education customers are very large when you purchase through a reseller. Contact your local reseller to see what pricing you qualify for in your area.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline dshetter

I am writing to update you on changes to our "Free for Education Program". As you are aware, cyber-security threats, such as the recent outbreak of WannaCry, are at an all-time high. Because of the growing investment required to provide superior protection, we are discontinuing the " Free for Education" program.

We value your support, and your protection is of utmost importance to us. To help you transition smoothly and safely, we have a special offer we would like to discuss. I will call you shortly to provide more details.

Kind regards,

Chris Waung
Senior Account Executive – North America

Email from Avast. Seems pretty officially over now.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Yep, the free Edu version has been dropped a while ago.
As Mac (Reply #3) mentioned, discounts are in place, though.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

Man, is Avast sleeping or what? We received zero communication on this, so we're left to scramble to find another affordable solution. Not a very good strategy for converting your free customers to paid customers. D'OH!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
The only support for free products is on this webboard.

If you want a quote, contact sales.

Offline claudiuc

• avast! Security Expert
  • Avast Reseller
  • www.avastantivirus.ro
    • www.avastantivirus.ro
You should contact your local reseller for support, it will not be free but will solve your problem.
Claudiu C. - Easy Media
Avast & AVG Distributor Romania, Moldova, Hungary
https://www.avastantivirus.ro/