Author Topic: What is the best version for home users  (Read 1973 times)

Offline traceyw

What is the best version for home users
« on: March 15, 2017, 12:34:11 AM »
Hi

Currently I am using Avast Free since I am a home user. However, I have been thinking I should perhaps upgrade to a paid version and I'm thinking perhaps Internet Security - don't think I need the Premier version. I wonder what others think would be best for a home user. I currently have a subscription to Bitdefender but I'm not over enamoured with it at all so have installed Avast Free whilst I think about it.

I'm also wondering what folk think the threat is to a home user and is it worth even upgrading to a paid version or is the threat to home users so low that the free version should be sufficient. I'd be interested to hear your opinions.

So what do folk think I should go for? Oh! there are two of us here - my husband and myself, so cost comes into it as well since we are pensioners. I hope to hear from some folk on what they think. Many thanks.

Tracey

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: What is the best version for home users
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 01:00:09 AM »
I have been using avast free for almost 13 years and is possibly the greatest competition for the paid avast versions.

In basics you need an anti-virus and a firewall, you probably already have one of these in your Operating System (?). I would suggest having a look at the comparison between the products and see what best meets your needs. Check the https://www.avast.com/en-gb/index page and scroll down to Compare.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline stibi

Re: What is the best version for home users
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 10:02:17 AM »
The free version is ok for me. The functions to detect malware are the same as in paid versions.
I don't need  functions in paid versions.  :)