Author Topic: Protection against web-content (scripts, applets etc) ?  (Read 12110 times)

Culpeper

Re:Protection against web-content (scripts, applets etc) ?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2004, 12:03:00 AM »
According to this Script Sentry will provide protection from bad scripts through IE.

http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/bit052301.html

http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/bit092502.html
« Last Edit: January 17, 2004, 12:08:19 AM by Culpeper »

Culpeper

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2004, 05:59:19 AM »

stevejrc

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2004, 10:58:48 PM »
One question still, If Script Sentry does work with scripts embedded in web pages, then does it warn you of every script that tries to run? Surely theres loads of them, and loads of warnings, until you've built up a huge allow list? Annoying? Anyone use it, what happens?

Culpeper

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2004, 11:09:08 PM »
One question still, If Script Sentry does work with scripts embedded in web pages, then does it warn you of every script that tries to run? Surely theres loads of them, and loads of warnings, until you've built up a huge allow list? Annoying? Anyone use it, what happens?

I haven't received a script warning yet during general browsing.  In fact, I think that Script Sentry works much like Script Defender.  I ran all the tests in the link above and the only thing Script Sentry gave a warning for was the macro scripts downloaded.  My machine past all the tests so the browser and/or firewall has adequate defenses to at least pass these tests.  I didn't bother with the EICAR file test because I already know that Avast catches it.

A script embedded in a web page and designed to be opened should be caught be Script Sentry.  I ran the esafe js file test above and ran to open the file instead of download and Script Sentry threw up a warning showing what the script would do if allowed to run.

So, as you can see.  I'm still not convinced on exactly how script sentry works as far as web surfing goes.

I would like to find a test page on the net with an embedded script file set to run from the webpage before I'm convinced.  Run the same webpage with Script Sentry on my machine and get someone with Avast Pro to check the same page and compare the results.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2004, 11:19:07 PM by Culpeper »

stevejrc

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2004, 12:02:05 AM »
I tried to run the test file and the file wasn't added to desktop and no option to download/open it. I have latest windows updates so maybe that stopped it, I know some updates prevent malicious code execution so maybe I'm ok anyway.

I have script defender installed and no warning given. IE6 security also set to medium.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2004, 12:16:37 AM by stevejrc »

Culpeper

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2004, 02:39:12 AM »

Culpeper

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2004, 03:00:21 AM »
I tried to run the test file and the file wasn't added to desktop and no option to download/open it. I have latest windows updates so maybe that stopped it, I know some updates prevent malicious code execution so maybe I'm ok anyway.

I have script defender installed and no warning given. IE6 security also set to medium.

My biggest concern is Internet Explorer vulnerabilities.  I don't worry about the other browsers as much.  You check and make sure you have the latest updates for your version of IE if you are using it.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/20031111_windows.asp

BanziBaby

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2004, 04:29:30 AM »
Hi Culpepper :)

I tried this linkhttp://www.scanit.be/bcheck

I found this a very thourgh test & tested it with Mozilla 1.6/IE 6 sp1 & updates & Opera 7.23.The first 2 browsers were safe & had no probs & so did opera, but it did say there were 3 medium risks, but not to worry as Opera was safe

I hope U dont mind, but i sent that link to a few of my friends just so they can test themselves, so many many thanks for posting the link :)

PS i use Script Defender as well & find it a great prog, so far never had any alerts other than the test file it comes with :)

Cheers
BaNzI ;D

Culpeper

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2004, 06:12:56 AM »
No problem.  IE 5.5 has one remaining low risk vulnerability based on those tests and MS doesn't provide a patch for it.  MS wants you to upgrade to the latest version of IE 6.0.  Since it is low risk, I'm still using IE 5.5 for the time being.  I mostly use other browsers anyway.