Author Topic: Free Avast 7.1 blocks Paint Shop Pro 9  (Read 15369 times)

REDACTED

Re: Free Avast 7.1 blocks Paint Shop Pro 9
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2017, 08:38:52 PM »
Disabling just the behavior could be enough.

I have same problem. Avast is blocking not only Paint Shop Pro v9, but also and other Paint Shop Pro versions like X6. Disabling avast or even running windows in Safe mode does not help too. The only solution is to uninstall avast. After uninstall, program runs normally. I have newest Avast version and Windows 7 32 bit. I have this problem on two different PCs.

Same Problem here, Windows 7 32bit
Avast 17.2.2288 (build 17.2.3419.59) is blocking Paint Shop Pro 9 AND Paint Shop Pro XI
Adding exceptions to File System Shield AND Behavior Shield did NOT help!
Uninstalling the new Avast version and reverting back to an older version FIXED the problem, but as soon as I allowed Avast to update to the new version again, the problem returned!

All other programs I tried appear to be unaffected by this, and ONLY Paint Shop Pro (both old Jasc and newer Corel version) are being blocked by Avast

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2017, 08:45:26 PM »
you avast too old , please upgrade to latest version  ;)

We are talking about the NEWEST version of Avast (17.2.2288) that is causing a problem and blocking Paint Shop Pro 9

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2017, 08:53:22 PM »
I pretty sure avast has stopped supporting v8 and earlier. So v7.xxx is out of luck. Best thing to do is upgrade.

We are talking about Paint Shop Pro v9 AND NEWER versions. For me it is blocking Paint Shop Pro 9 (Jasc Software) AND Paint Shop Pro XI (Corel Software).
BOTH worked perfectly in the previous version of Avast, but stopped yesterday after I upgraded Avast to v 17.2.2288 (build 17.2.3419.59)
Uninstalling the new Avast version and reverting back to an older version FIXED the problem, but when I allowed Avast to update its program version again, the problem recurred. Disabling File Shield and/or Behavior Shield (or any other shields) DID NOT fix it, and neither did adding exclusions to any of the shields.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2017, 10:32:58 PM »
I pretty sure avast has stopped supporting v8 and earlier. So v7.xxx is out of luck. Best thing to do is upgrade.

We are talking about Paint Shop Pro v9 AND NEWER versions. For me it is blocking Paint Shop Pro 9 (Jasc Software) AND Paint Shop Pro XI (Corel Software).
BOTH worked perfectly in the previous version of Avast, but stopped yesterday after I upgraded Avast to v 17.2.2288 (build 17.2.3419.59)
<snip>

If you read the responses to your quote of Para-Noid, you will see that because of the version typo by the OP Para-Noid believed he was using avast version 7(being unsupported), nothing to do with the version for Paint Shop Pro.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2017, 02:52:07 AM »
I reported the issue to Avast and they sent back a message saying that they can't find a record of my account in their system, even though I've been using Avast for many years!

I also reported the Problem (in my case with PaintShop Pro 9 AND PaintShop Pro XI to Avast and they replied
(quote)
"Hello,

We’re sorry, but we can’t seem to find a record of your license in our system.

If you use Avast Free Antivirus, please visit the FAQ section of our website or the Avast community forum.

If you use one of our premium products and believe you've received this message in error, please reply directly to this email advising us of your order ID or the email address you used to make the purchase. If you do not remember your order ID or which email address you used, please provide your full name and the postal address you entered when purchasing Avast.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
The Avast Support Team"
(end quote)

So apparently anyone who is using the FREE version of Avast is screwed!  >:(

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2017, 05:02:07 AM »
See Reply #11. (Also works for Avast Free users.)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2017, 06:11:41 AM »
See Reply #11. (Also works for Avast Free users.)

I saw that reply and actually started to submit the form, but how would "false positive" apply to this specific situation? There is NO virus warning produced (no "warning" at all) as it would be with suspected "infected" files.
And the program does show as "running" in the Processes tab of Windows Task Manager, but fails to load on the screen. So which file would likely be the one affected by Avast then? The program's .exe file or one of the UI.dll files?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2017, 06:30:51 AM »
Try setting the behavior shield to ask.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2017, 06:52:37 AM »
Try setting the behavior shield to ask.

Tried all possible settings for ALL shields, even turned ALL shields OFF and it made NO difference!
The only way I was able to get PaintShop Pro to open again was, by uninstalling the 17.2.2288 version and reverting back to an old version...which, as I just now noticed,  "screwed" me too, because I forgot to turn off automatic updates for the Program, so it automatically (without notifying me) updated once again to version 17.2.2288....meaning once I shut the computer down tonight and restart it tomorrow, I will most likely find PaintShop Pro to be blocked AGAIN...unless Avast has suddenly fixed the problem which would amount to nothing short of a miracle!
I'll let you know how it turns out, but don't hold your breath!  :-\

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2017, 06:44:34 PM »
What version of PSP ??? Is it a legally registered program ???
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2017, 12:37:25 AM »
I have the same problem. Updated free Avast about a week ago and since then Paint Shop Pro 9 will not launch in Windows XP Pro although it shows up in task manager. Also, the computer then hangs and will not shut down, I have to power off at the switch. I have tried the suggestion of putting Paint Shop Pro in the Settings> components> behaviour shield> customize but this makes no difference. Is Avast likely to fix this problem anytime soon? 

REDACTED

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2017, 06:27:09 AM »
disable
       settings / troubleshooting / avast self defense module

(Unfortunately the exclusions do not work on self defense module and  disable shields does not work either)

« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 07:14:43 AM by ardf »

Offline userg-1

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2017, 07:54:35 AM »
Disabling avast self defense module works, but is it safe to disable it? Avast please fix it.

REDACTED

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2017, 03:51:56 AM »
Is that a problem before?

Normally an anti virus launches before the operating system, examines the memory and examines itself
Then it examines everything that moves, and a virus can only come from outside, and it will be examined and, unless excluded, quarantined before saying ouf: AVAST will not even ask you your opinion in silent mode

Personally, I think that if AVAST can do this, we do not need more

What is this module that does not take into account exclusions?
And here that does not even quarantine but blocks programs at launch?

I take the "risk" :-)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 04:36:26 AM by ardf »

REDACTED

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2017, 07:04:12 PM »
disable
       settings / troubleshooting / avast self defense module

(Unfortunately the exclusions do not work on self defense module and  disable shields does not work either)
I have the same problem on my computer, but it allows me to use Photoshop,
 But i don't have free Advast i paid for mine and it upgraded a few days ago, so computer is just pile of crap right now