Author Topic: Please HELP : Avast UI process (AvastUI.exe) is currently not running  (Read 15260 times)

REDACTED

I've been using Avast for many years without problems but when I turned the computer on this morning, Avast did not show up in the tray and I've tried several approaches and have not solved the problem:

Symptoms:
It was fine yesterday, as I did turn the Avast VPN on in the afternoon.
The Avast licenses are valid.
Today Avast does not show in the tray.
Avast is in the boot list
Processes  "Avast firewall service (32 bits)" ,  "Avast Service (32 bits)" and "Avast! Identity Protection Service"  are running
If I try to scan a file, a message pops up saying: "Avast UI process (AvastUI.exe) is currently not running. Please run the application before starting a scan"
If I try to run AvastUI.exe from the Avast folder, Windows says the file cannot be accessed (I am the administrator and only user of this PC)

I've already tried:
Repair - runs but does not solve the problem
Update - runs but does not solve the problem
Modity - but does not finish - says it encountered an error
Uninstall - but does not finish - says it encountered an error

Any help would be much appreciated.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Please HELP : Avast UI process (AvastUI.exe) is currently not running
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 11:23:51 PM »
Sounds like something that is already solved in the latest Beta.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 02:54:51 AM »
How do I get this Beta?

I downloaded the standard install executable (avast_free_antivirus_setup_online_cnet2.exe), but when I try to execute it, I get the same error as executing AvastUI.exe (Windows says the file cannot be accessed).

(Not to mention that I don't seem to be able to uninstall the current version)

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 12:08:20 PM »
Thanks.

But unfortunately i ran into a new problem.

After struggling for a while, I finally got to uninstall the previous version of Avast in Windows Safe Mode.

The problem now is that I can't run any of the 12 executable installers in the link you provided (4 Beta online installer , 4 Beta offline installer or the 4 regular installers).

The message is the same as before: "Error: Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item"

I checked this message in the Microsoft site and I don't fit in any of the possibilities listed (no other antivirus installed, file not blocked, other executables in the same folder run fine, Properties>Security>Permission are all checked for all users)

I also tried an install from the Avast site, as if I were a brand new user, downloaded the install file to a  different directory and still have the same issue.

Any hints?

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 04:11:45 PM »
Same problem here...

I've tried the offline instalation file and, after two reboots, it finaly worked. Two more reboots and the avast tray icon was back. Avast worked fine till I turn off the computer, but today the problem is back. no tray icon, same message about AvastUI.exe.

Just wondering if could be something about windows defender and/or windows 10 instalation...

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 02:20:21 PM »
Same problem here. I Installed the software yesterday.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 11:08:00 AM »
If you guys are stuck with my original problem, you may try the Beta Version Eddy suggested.

I am still in the same situation as before: cannot install. 
All variations of Avast installers give me the same error: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the it"

I am in contact with Avast Support, but, so far, no luck.

I will still give them a chance, but I cannot afford to operate without an antivirus much longer (I had to slow down my professional activity, as I have drastically reduced my internet activity this week)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 11:24:26 AM »
- Delete any (previous) installed av completely (including avast)
- Remove all tempory folder/files etc from the system
- Cleanup the registry
- Install the latest avast Beta in the default location using the offline installer

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 12:36:37 PM »
Unfortunately, still nothing.

I already had removed Avast. Never had any other av in this PC.
I deleted everything in  <user> \AppData\Local\Temp  - any other temp folder I should remove?
I don't have a registry cleanup tool, but I manually removed all entries that had "Avast" in them.

Rebooted and the same problem persists.

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 03:07:38 PM »
The Avast Support nailed it.

It was the GAS Tecnologia software, by Diebold. It is listed in the Control Panel Programs list as Warsaw.
Uninstalling this application allowed me to run the Avast installer and, so far, all is back to normal.

Hope the UI application does not crash again.

(As I understand it, this GAS thing is required to access my bank via internet browser. Since my bank provided an application for remote access, I don't access via browser anymore, so I could remove it without problems).

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 03:34:30 PM »
Worked for me to. I restarted the computer after removing the GAS technology program and the Avast came back properly. Thank's.

The thing is, why they worked fine together for more than a year and now we got this conflict?

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 04:13:49 PM »
I have Avast installed for, maybe, 4 years. This GAS thing for 2 or 3. Installed in Windows XP, upgraded to Win8 and to Win10 last July. (no clean OS install since I got the PC).

Most likely, one of them had an upgrade that caused the problem.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 05:00:14 PM »
Good to hear it is solved.

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2017, 01:41:11 PM »
I am afraid Avast is still not OK. It seems I am back to step zero.
Same problem as reported by Marcel and Helio: when I start the PC, AvastUI does not load.
Now, without the GAS thing, I am able to manually execute AvastUI from the Avast folder, but when I restart the PC, it does not load again.
Tried the Beta version, but the problem remains.