Author Topic: GUI glitch: main interface window min/close icons nonresponsive (FIXED)  (Read 5735 times)

Offline JLJ-o-matic

Avast Free 17.1.2286 (updated today) under Win 7 Home Premium x64

Minor but annoying: the main user interface window (right-click tray icon / Open Avast user interface) does not respond to clicks on its minimize or close icons -- no highlight or cursor effects are visible. Window can only be closed by right-click/Close Window via statusbar icon.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 07:39:13 PM by JLJ-o-matic »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: GUI glitch: main interface window min/close icons nonresponsive
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 11:24:34 PM »
Perform a repair of avast and see if it solves the problem.

Offline JLJ-o-matic

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 11:45:36 PM »
Will that cost me any custom settings? If so I might file it under "maybe it's not so annoying after all" -- ??

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 12:16:48 AM »
Will that cost me any custom settings? If so I might file it under "maybe it's not so annoying after all" -- ??

I don't believe it will cost you any custom settings, however it wouldn't hurt to Back up settings first (avastUI > Settings > General > scroll down to the bottom of the screen - Back up settings).

Although I'm using the current beta build 17.2.2287 the Minimise and Close icons in the main UI page are working. I can't recall any other instances of them not working on the 17.2.2286 version being reported in the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline JLJ-o-matic

Re: GUI glitch: main interface window min/close icons nonresponsive (update)
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 01:08:44 AM »
Update: I've learned the GUI is working correctly under my Admin user account -- but still not under my Standard user account. I ran today's update from within the Standard account (which I use for most purposes), which may be germane or not. Before attempting a repair/reinstall, does this fact suggest any other steps?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 01:37:25 AM »
Well there are different things/situations for limited users in avast, but I can't for the life of me think why that my extend to blocking the minimise ans close icons.

Generally as a limited user you wouldn't be able to change or remove avasts functions or settings.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline JLJ-o-matic

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 02:37:09 AM »
Well, running a repair from Control Panel did nothing. Neither did dropping by Reynholm Industries briefly.

As I write, Avast itself appears to be working correctly in all other regards except that none of the icons in the main interface titlebar -- Alert, Help, Min, Close -- function or respond to mouseover. I can grab the window by the titlebar and move it, but not engage with those items. Still able to close from statusbar context menu.

I'll probably wait it out until the next update and see what's what. Meantime if anyone else experiences this issue and/or has a eureka moment, please let me know.

THX all

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 09:58:02 AM »
This is certainly a strange one considering it works in an admin account.

Whilst this suggestion isn't a solution, it may help in the meantime. AvastUI > Settings > Troubleshooting and uncheck the 'Limit program access for Guest account.' I'm working on my win10 laptop which has the 12.3.2280 version of avast, but I believe this setting would be in the same place.

Obviously if this is where the problem lies (and I'm not sure if it is), to change that you would need to be using your admin account to make the changes.

Offline JLJ-o-matic

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 08:08:35 PM »
Whilst this suggestion isn't a solution, it may help in the meantime. AvastUI > Settings > Troubleshooting and uncheck the 'Limit program access for Guest account.' ... Obviously if this is where the problem lies (and I'm not sure if it is), to change that you would need to be using your admin account to make the changes.

Thanks, but no effect. Interestingly, the close button on the Troubleshooting sub-window worked perfectly, but the main UI set remains unresponsive.

Also I have never had any previous issues making changes to Avast settings from within my Standard account -- either they are allowed (eg, this Guest account change was) or I'm prompted for the Admin password before each function.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 08:50:18 PM »
This really is weird, I'm at a loss as to what it may be.

Offline JLJ-o-matic

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 09:41:10 PM »
This really is weird

Which is to say, just another day here in the JLJ Experience  ;)

Offline JLJ-o-matic

Re: GUI glitch: main interface window min/close icons nonresponsive (new info)
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 11:59:50 PM »
Now it gets interesting. I had some time to kill so I downloaded the offline installer, uninstalled (normally, did not use aswClear) and reinstalled Avast (all from the Admin account) and, as I write, I'm back in my Standard account, with a fresh install of 17.1.2286, and -- tada! -- it's still happening: none of the titlebar icons in the main interface window respond in any way. I can still grab the titlebar and move the window, can still close it from systray context, but it's like that Twilight Zone episode with the faces: No change! No change at all!  ;D :o

Offline rafaelfs.rj

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 04:02:27 AM »
It's a classical case of developers' crappy job. Simple as that!

Offline JLJ-o-matic

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 05:42:52 AM »
It's a classical case of developers' crappy job. Simple as that!

Well that's kinda harsh, considering I seem to be the only human being on the planet experiencing it, as far as we know -- which can be said about a lot of freaky glitches, more's the pity.

:o ???

Offline securitest

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 07:12:32 AM »
Looks like a minor issue but if you want to help the developpers you could make some further tests.
(Considering that your problem occurs with Avast 17.1.2286 but not with previous versions).

Are the minimize/close buttons grayed-out (like disabled) when the main Avast window is active/inactive ?
(you can compare with the color of these button in other windows to see if Avast ones are always grayed-out)

Does Alt+F4 close the main Avast window ?
Does Winlogo+M minimize the main Avast window ?