Author Topic: Web-pages with parameters not scanned ?  (Read 6490 times)

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
Web-pages with parameters not scanned ?
« on: December 13, 2003, 03:05:01 AM »
Check this URL. This page is not scanned by avast! Even though it is an .ASP page. I think it must be because of the parameteres after the .ASP filtype (they are retained in the filename in Temorary Internet Files):

https://www.skandiabanken.no/SKSecure/NO/konto/kontoutskrift.asp?Account=0

I tried adding a * after ASP (making it ASP*) but the page is still not scanned. Is there a way to get round this. Get the same problem on .HTTP pages with parameters.

Also there is an even more interessting variant:

http://www.altavista.com/web/results?nbq=40&q=Lars-Erik+%d8sterud

Here there page ("results") has no document type at all (this is usually catched by having "?" in the list of filtypes, but not with parameters)

Just though I mention these weird cases, if avast! would handle those as well it would be even better (it is good!)
www.osterud.name - ICQ: 7297605 - AIM/Yahoo/Facebook/Skype/Astra: LarsErikOsterud

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Web-pages with parameters not scanned ?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2003, 02:11:16 AM »
Could you explain a little?

You saved the webpage and, after, it could not be scanned by avast, is it what happened?

Did you try to put the '?' extension at the Standard Shield and the page is not scanned too?

Do you know any other av that handle this kind of file?

Let's help, if we can, the development of avast...  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2003, 07:21:26 PM »
What are the exact filenames when these "problematic" files are stored on disk (in the cache folder)?
It concerns Win98, right?

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2003, 08:07:19 PM »
I thought the web-pages was stored with the same name as on the web (with all the parameters and stuff). I havn't research that good. I only start noticing (with the "show info thingy" on) that some pages was not scanned when I entered them, not even when I clicked "reload". And the common thing for them was parameters after .asp or .html.

And there was the .ece file type some uses, but that is easy to add yourselves, but that is not scanned when there are parameter after the type wither (like "test.ece?name=test")

Use Win98se, Internet Explorer 6.0.2800
www.osterud.name - ICQ: 7297605 - AIM/Yahoo/Facebook/Skype/Astra: LarsErikOsterud

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2003, 08:54:01 PM »
Well, I admit I didn't explore the problem either :)
There are 2 things I'd like to note, however:

1. The files with the arguments cannot be stored in cache as they are, because the question-sign character cannot be a part of the filename. So, it must be either encoded somehow (%3f maybe), or replaced. Therefore I asked how they are stored.
2. When the server sends a HTML page to your browser, it may set a "don't cache" flag in the HTML headers. Such a file may not be written to disk (at least it's not supposed to, I guess; the Internet Explorer behavior is another thing, of course) - so, I wouldn't be suprised by the fact that some pages are not scanned (on disk).

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2003, 09:03:45 PM »
I checked a bit in the "temporary internet files" folder. And it seems like you are right. Even though the name is "test.html?x=xxxx" in the listing, if I choose properties, the name is "test[1].htm". So then I can't understand why so many pages are not scanned (must be that flag).

Maybe this is why McAfee has their "Internet scan" (scans the pages as they go INTO the browser, before saving).

Also found one more strange thing (also on "www.nettavisen.no"). Their startpage has no extension (storen in the cache as "nettavisen[1]" only) and is not scanned either - unless I add "?" to the filetype list (I guss avast! then scans files with 0 or 1 charater long types :-)

So to scan all web-pages, including "ECE" files and start-pages without filetype on should add "?" and "ECE" to the list (is there any point making it "?" "ECE*" and "ASP*", or will that just make the scanning slower w/o any advantage)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2003, 01:09:52 AM »
So to scan all web-pages, including "ECE" files and start-pages without filetype on should add "?" and "ECE" to the list (is there any point making it "?" "ECE*" and "ASP*", or will that just make the scanning slower w/o any advantage)

Lars, I could make a guess, if I'm wrong, I could not understand the behavior of the Stardard Shield. If you add ECE* the files must be scanned...

Please, Igor, if I'm wrong, correct me  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2003, 01:16:10 AM »
Yep. If I add ECE or ECE* the files are scanned.

BUT there is still the problem that some pages with parameters are NOT scanned (both HTML, ASP and ECE) even when I add HT*, ASP* and ECE* (add the * in hope that that would scan them even if the parameteres are stored as a part of the file name, but as pointed out earlier the DOS name for the files ARE indeed HTM, ASP and ECE even if the fill name has the parameters, so they should be scanned - but still - the avast! globe is not turning :-)