Author Topic: VBS:Malware-gen  (Read 16884 times)

REDACTED

Re: VBS:Malware-gen
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2017, 07:14:35 AM »
Made an account to say that I too have been getting this message over and over again. Also on a Macbook (late 2015 running OS X, have had it for less than a month) and I'm using Chrome. Noticed that sometimes when I click on my quick links from my Google Homepage it would just take me to Google? And then when I was on Amazon, I kept getting "infection blocked!" warnings over and over again and the url seemed like it has a problem with their shopping cart. So then I ran a scan and OH BOY. 11, then 40, and now just 8 every single time I scan no matter how much I quarantine. Malwarebytes detected nothing. Hope they get this fixed soon, I about had a meltdown.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 07:19:09 AM by torilanc11 »

REDACTED

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2017, 07:14:45 AM »
Hello all, I just found this thread.

I got the same problem on my laptop and I think I made a huge mistake!

When I got the initial pop up regarding the root kit detection it asked me if i wanted to delete, so i assumed I had picked up something legit and clicked yes.

Then it asked me if i wanted to restart and do a boot scan so I said okay.

Then it started deleting a ton of files off my computer! I realized 2/3rds of the way through that something was seriously wrong and found this thread via my iphone.

I cancelled the boot scan and reloaded windows and immediately did a scan with malwarebytes... nothing detected.

So a ton of files were deleted off my computer, is there any way I can restore those or at least see a log file on which files were deleted?

I didn't see any option in avast itself to look at logs and I went to the 'log' directory but couldn't find anything?

So annoyed, it should have at least created a restore point before deleting all those files. :(

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2017, 07:23:16 AM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2017, 07:27:32 AM »
sseth, have you checked the Virus Chest for files? I was able to retrieve all files from chest. However, they never got to the point of deletion.

REDACTED

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2017, 07:31:53 AM »
I checked the virus chest and it is empty!

It must have permanently deleted those files. :(

Windows is still running even though some system files were deleted but I guess I will have to try out all my applications and look through all my folders to figure out what is missing.

REDACTED

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2017, 07:38:02 AM »
I'm getting this on Amazon's shopping cart too.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2017, 07:48:21 AM »
These detections are false positives.
It is a bug in the latest detection and it would really surprise me if avast isn't already working on it.

REDACTED

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2017, 07:59:11 AM »
These detections are false positives.
It is a bug in the latest detection and it would really surprise me if avast isn't already working on it.
This is at least a piece of mind, thank you. Nice bug -_-

REDACTED

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2017, 08:18:03 AM »
Same thing has been happening to my friend and I, I just randomly came home from school and discovered this alert. It's appeared right after running Minecraft, and the Java terminal. For me, it says the process is the JavaApplet plugin. I ran a scan and it even detected my swapfiles as VBS:Malware-gen. Yep. It has to be due to the recent virus definitions update.

REDACTED

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2017, 08:22:49 AM »
Same thing here - it almost gutted my system. Any update when this might be addressed?

Offline TrueIndian

• Poster
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2017, 08:32:09 AM »
They acknowledge the issue so a update will be rolled out with this detection disabled  :)

REDACTED

« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2017, 08:50:20 AM »
Well though that is good to hear - I may have lost a significant amount of personal files and I am now checking the integrity of my OS as I know at least 700 files were deleted!

REDACTED

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2017, 08:58:06 AM »
Great to know it's a false positive! On a PC running Windows 8 and Chrome, I'm getting it every fifteen minutes or so, on Hotmail and eBay.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.

REDACTED

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2017, 05:06:11 PM »
Yeah I am saving the problem. It's also detecting threats from I site I use called Twitch.tv and its never done that before. One of my games on my computer had a bunch of its files flagged too. I hope it's just a bad update