Author Topic: VBS:Malware-gen  (Read 16795 times)

REDACTED

VBS:Malware-gen
« on: February 22, 2017, 03:01:42 AM »
Hi,

I've recently been running routine scans on my computer and it has been bringing up tons of VBS:Malware-gen. I know next to very little about computer security systems, but I've had my macbook air for about five years now and never really had any problems with it. On my last scan it dug up some 80+ VBS:Malware-gen but I still only have about 4 virus' in the Virus Chest. I ran another scan and the virus is still showing up in the scan, what is this stuff and how do I get rid of it?

Thanks for any help you could offer

REDACTED

Re: VBS:Malware-gen
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 03:15:22 AM »
I'm having the same problem, I just ran a full Avast scan and it found 76 Malware-gen items but I ran Malwarebytes and it found nothing. I think the latest Avast virus definition update seems really messed up.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 03:21:19 AM »
Well it's somewhat comforting to know it's not just me. I'm looking through the report and the path shows the malware popping up in tons of odd places, video game save files, my dictionary, power points from university I downloaded, as well as my cache. Are these the kinds of places the malware is popping up in for you?

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 03:25:16 AM »
Hi people,

Hopefully it makes you feel better knowing that it's happening to others too. As soon as I booted up my PC today I've been getting constant pop ups of VBS:Maleware-Gen detected. Did a full virus scan and Avast found about 90 things infected with VBS:Maleware-Gen, meanwhile Malwarebytes has found nothing. Most likely a bad virus definition update

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 03:27:03 AM »
For me a lot of the places Avast reportedly found Malwaregen are the config folder for PyCharm (which is legitimate programming software) and the folder for the Windows Store app Asphalt Airborne. So its popping up in odd places for me too.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 03:28:59 AM by Timothy85 »

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 03:31:41 AM »
Yup. same here, I just powered on my PC an hour ago, kept getting VBS:Malware-gen pop-ups from Avast randomly when browsing with Chrome, then I decided to run a full scan to see what is really going on, then BANG, over 40 VBS:Malware-gen detections showed up , PC is equipped with malwarebytes+cryptoprevent, one of the strongest security combo out there....

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 03:33:54 AM »
Same here. This is very strange.

Offline Lotan

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 03:34:35 AM »
same, i thought it was just the one skype issue i had but it looks like avast may be having issues with its virus definitions

Offline TrueIndian

• Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 03:35:00 AM »
Guys please make a different topic in this section to get help so we don't hijack someone else's topic .

@passingcommoner can you attach a screenshot of the scan results so we can see what actually is detected?

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 03:45:29 AM »
Sure thing, this is the kind of stuff the scans has been bringing up.

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 03:53:14 AM »
hey i have a very similar screen shot of what was just posted except I am on a Mac computer. Im also using avast+malwarebytes. Is there any solution or way to remove this virus?

Offline TrueIndian

• Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 03:56:16 AM »
you guys can submit the files to avast as false positive:
https://www.avast.com/false-positive-file-form.php

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 03:59:46 AM »
Whew, well that's a load off my mind. Thanks so much for the help!

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 04:01:05 AM »
you guys can submit the files to avast as false positive:
https://www.avast.com/false-positive-file-form.php

So there is no viruses? Our computers are fine we can do things as normal?

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 04:26:39 AM »
Well, I've been getting this type of warning about a this address: "htts://af.opera.com/api/query?client=opera"

Started today with this VBS:Malware-gen

Given the type of pages people have been describing i'll bet it has something to do with encrypted communication, that Skype probably uses too.

It's annoying as hell and got me in some sort of panic since this is my banking computer.