Author Topic: [FIXED] [VBS: Malware Gen] False positives Vir. def: 170221-1 22.2.2017 0:08:41  (Read 155695 times)

REDACTED

I was also hurt by this huge mistake. I ran the start up scan in two laptops with AVAST which advise me to do you after showing its warning. During the scan, many files was being "DELETED" and sent to chest. Would you please advise if there is any ways to reclaim all these deleted files?

This is completely outrages!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

REDACTED

I recently was able to access my scan history and found the false positive files that were found by a boot-time scan. I haven't moved these files to the chest, but the files are automatically marked for "delete". I don't think any of these files were moved to the chest, or if these are even all the files that were marked as infected. I tried switching the option from "delete" to "do nothing", but it won't let me apply that option when I choose that. Will anything happen to these files if I just ignore the scan report since it won't let me choose the "do nothing" option?

REDACTED

Yup i'm also having same issue

This issue is coming from the updated Vir Def 170222
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 02:01:05 PM by Noixz »

REDACTED

I also had 100,s of files deleted, computer no longer boots up.

yes i know back up.

but computer was soon to be replaced, will be replacing with a refurnished computer in about 2 weeks.
Still if I did not have a subscription for 3 computers which expires April 2019, I would be changing to another antivirus.

I am using the wifes computer.
New what was happening, before she put on her computer.

Offline William148

Yep, same as sooooo many others.  Many, many, many files deleted by Avast! Got the alert of the virus and went to a boot scan.  I am a paying user and I would think there would be some eMail from Avast!  I assume as part of the community they know I got the alerts.  Again, I am a paying subscriber and I am heart broken.  And for those who say, "you shouldn't have Okayed the deleting of all those files" <-- REALLY.  I get a Virus alert and should ignore it.  Show a little compassion Avast! at least say "we are sorry" and give me something to hold on to.

Offline martin_vejmelka

• Avast team
  • Head of Avast Threat Labs
False positive VBS:Malware-gen detection in VPS 20170221-1 (22.2.2017)

What happened?
The VPS 20170221-1 contained an invalid script detection that resulted in a significant false positive across the Avast userbase.

How did this happen?
The Threat Labs team deployed a change in detection verification logic which moved the verification to an earlier stage of the detection release process. Multiple factors including deployment of new backend version caused this detection to bypass safety checks that are normally in place resulting in its release.

What are we doing to fix this?
We are implementing additional checks in the detection generation, detection validation and detection testing processes to prevent such errors in the future. On the mitigation side, Avast has the capability to stream updates to select detection containers. However this particular detection type is not included in the streaming updates at this time.  We will enable streaming also for this detection type so we can remove these detections much faster in the future.

Conclusion
We apologise for the released detection and are working hard to prevent such occurrences in the future.

- Avast Threat Labs

REDACTED

My Issue is with the new VPS (170222-00)

REDACTED

My Issue is with the new VPS (170222-00)

:o Ruh-roh, what's going on with the new def database?  Anything the rest of us should be concerned with, especially as compared to why this thread even exists?  :-\

REDACTED

if you dont have anything usefull to say please dont thanks... whole focus of a thread is to be helpful not sarcastic

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
if you dont have anything usefull to say please dont thanks... whole focus of a thread is to be helpful not sarcastic
Who or what are you talking about ???
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

Has the same issue on Avast for Mac been rolled out?  I have tried to update to the latest virus list update and still encounter the same issue.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
For users who do not know how to manually update the VPS:

avast UI > Settings > Update > Update Virus definitions or right click Avast tray icon > Update > Engine and Virus Definitions.

Users can check to make sure that the deleted files are not in the Virus Chest:

Virus Chest location is either avast UI > Protection > Anti-Virus > Virus Chest or right click Avast tray icon > Virus Chest.

If the files are there, right click and scan to see if the file is infected or not (1)

If not infected, you can then restore. (2)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 02:54:56 PM by Alikhan »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline perboris

I have same problem.

Offline TheOwner

• Poster
Everyting is ok now, but i still don't understand how is possible you release that bad definitions. Is that same as you release last version of Avast with too many bugs. It seems no one tested this before release. And this is very dangerous. I don't want imagine how big trouble people has with this. You maybe lose some customers, everything is possible because this is not first time. I am using avast from version 4 and last years its worse and worse.

Offline Nihojep

I am trying to recover the 500 files that I accidently deleted while doing the virus scan. So I have found this Data Recovery Tool, which has come up with a loong list of deleted files from general usage in the past days/weeks/months? Idk. There is no way to check the date the files were deleted or anything...

Does Avast keep a log of virus scan / deleted files maybe? Then I could maybe cross check file names with that log file