Author Topic: [FIXED] [VBS: Malware Gen] False positives Vir. def: 170221-1 22.2.2017 0:08:41  (Read 156639 times)

Offline George189

I just checked the Mac forum and it refers to this thread.  I'm on AvastBusiness with definitions xxx.222 and I have a Macbook with El Capitan throwing numerous Webshield alerts for: "https://clients1.google.com/tbproxy/af/query?client=Google%20Chrome" and the like.   Is this the issue that this thread addresses?   If it is, please remove the "resolved" notation in red at the beginning.  I have yet to see any substantive info regarding MacOS and this problem.

Thanks in advance to any experts helping with this.

Offline TheOwner

• Poster
Still don't belive avast delete infected items by self without user action. But everything is possible....

Offline HonzaZ

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
I just checked the Mac forum and it refers to this thread.  I'm on AvastBusiness with definitions xxx.222 and I have a Macbook with El Capitan throwing numerous Webshield alerts for: "https://clients1.google.com/tbproxy/af/query?client=Google%20Chrome" and the like.
Can you post your VPS number?

REDACTED

Still don't belive avast delete infected items by self without user action. But everything is possible....

For everyone asking. I have no backup for the 1000++ pictures. Since it's only taken last December and I just transferred it from SD card.

And yes, AVAST automatically deleted the pictures on boot scan without asking me. Actually it's 5000++ jpeg pictures. 4000++ of them I got backup.

My only hope is to recover any pictures which haven't got overwritten in the SD card.

Unless some of you can recommend a good way to recover the items. Recuva is not working.

Offline TheOwner

• Poster
Then this is really bad, not only last version of Avast causing too much BSODS, UI bugs but today this. Avast team? Any explanation?

Offline Caso

I believe the quarantine vault has a space limit. Go over that limit and stuff will be gone for good.

Offline Herve@Aequalis

and nothing from Avast on twitter or their blog so far...

https://twitter.com/avast_antivirus

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster

I believe the quarantine vault has a space limit. Go over that limit and stuff will be gone for good.

The maximum limit is 256mb by default BUT I'm not sure if exceeding that deletes files.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline George189

I just checked the Mac forum and it refers to this thread.  I'm on AvastBusiness with definitions xxx.222 and I have a Macbook with El Capitan throwing numerous Webshield alerts for: "https://clients1.google.com/tbproxy/af/query?client=Google%20Chrome" and the like.
Can you post your VPS number?

I don't know what VPS stands for.

Avast Business Security 2016
Version 12.5
Virus definitions version: 1702220
Product License will expire on 3/4/17

I just updated OS of Macbook to Seirra 10.12.3

Thanks!

Offline HonzaZ

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
VPS is Virus definitions version :). It should be fixed in yours (1702220) - do you still receive the popups?

Offline George189

VPS is Virus definitions version :). It should be fixed in yours (1702220) - do you still receive the popups?

Well, after upgrading OS and a reboot, the alerts have ceased.   I'm running a full scan (so far at 50%) and browsing the internet via Google Chrome.    So far so good.  Maybe, even though I had the updated VPS showing I needed to reboot for them to be recognized?

REDACTED

Yeah, I'm a victim of Avast, too. I did a full scan last night after installing the newest version of Avast, and it deleted some stuff. And since I was scanning my backup drive "just to be safe" I've lost some things that I can't get back. >:( I just renewed yesterday, too. I doubt I can get a refund, so I guess I'm out the $35 because I'm going to switch anti-virus software.

Why you deleted those files? Avast by self don't delete anything. And if yes by system file shield, it will be in your virus chest = easy restore. You are only victim by self.

First off the files were/are in my virus chest, but Avast doesn't restore them when I try to do so. I claims it does, but the files are still MIA. But I'm sure you will say that's my fault.

Secondly, I wouldn't have installed a new version of Avast if tech support would have responded to the ticket I opened about renewing Avast 11 days ago, before my Anti-virus ran out. But I'm sure you will say that's my fault.

Thirdly I did a full scan on my PC because I had no foreknowledge that Avast was malfunctioning, and  acting as malware. No if Avast had sent out one of those so called alerts that they send out whenever they are trying to sell some sort of upgrade or add-on then maybe I would have been warned in time and not ran the virus scanner. And to date Avast STILL hasn't warned anybody. But I'm sure you will say that's my fault.

Lastly,and most importantly, I pressed the button to resolve what my anti virus program reported as malware, because I trusted that my antivirus program was doing it's job and detected malware. That the whole point of buying antivirus and anti-malware protection. Becuase otherwise how would we know when our devices were infected ? Should we all Wait until we start to notice performance issues? Should we run some other sort of antivirus protection? And if so, then why pay for Avast? If we have to second guess our AV protection then what good is it?

Oh, and ignoring my issues for a minute. What about the people who still aren't aware of the problem who might have files or have it in their virus chest now? Those files are still tagged as infected, and unless those people happen to stop here they won't be aware of it. And what about what happens now? If any of us see a lot of files tagged with VBS tomorrow, will we just assume it is a bug in Avast and ignore it? That could really be opening up a can of worms.

Now you want to put this all on the head of those of us who Pressed the button then fine. But then, you aren't the one paying for Avast or trying to sell it.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
First off the files were/are in my virus chest, but Avast doesn't restore them when I try to do so. I claims it does, but the files are still MIA. But I'm sure you will say that's my fault.
A copy of the files will remain in chest

https://www.avast.com/faq.php?q=chest&authenticity_token=4nA3JDg3WyO4fCEHg44SyZ9bTLDcGeIMyHfQ%2Feux2AY%3D#searchForm

Offline Caso

The maximum limit is 256mb by default BUT I'm not sure if exceeding that deletes files.

What would "maximum limit" mean?

REDACTED

and nothing from Avast on twitter or their blog so far...

https://twitter.com/avast_antivirus

Maybe they are all victims of their own software?