Author Topic: [FIXED] [VBS: Malware Gen] False positives Vir. def: 170221-1 22.2.2017 0:08:41  (Read 156604 times)

Offline Caso

and nothing from Avast on twitter or their blog so far...

https://twitter.com/avast_antivirus

Maybe they are all victims of their own software?

Probably analysing the f... up and making sure it doesn't happen again. This can have serious consequences for their business.

Offline TheOwner

• Poster
Yeah, I'm a victim of Avast, too. I did a full scan last night after installing the newest version of Avast, and it deleted some stuff. And since I was scanning my backup drive "just to be safe" I've lost some things that I can't get back. >:( I just renewed yesterday, too. I doubt I can get a refund, so I guess I'm out the $35 because I'm going to switch anti-virus software.

Why you deleted those files? Avast by self don't delete anything. And if yes by system file shield, it will be in your virus chest = easy restore. You are only victim by self.

First off the files were/are in my virus chest, but Avast doesn't restore them when I try to do so. I claims it does, but the files are still MIA. But I'm sure you will say that's my fault.

Secondly, I wouldn't have installed a new version of Avast if tech support would have responded to the ticket I opened about renewing Avast 11 days ago, before my Anti-virus ran out. But I'm sure you will say that's my fault.

Thirdly I did a full scan on my PC because I had no foreknowledge that Avast was malfunctioning, and  acting as malware. No if Avast had sent out one of those so called alerts that they send out whenever they are trying to sell some sort of upgrade or add-on then maybe I would have been warned in time and not ran the virus scanner. And to date Avast STILL hasn't warned anybody. But I'm sure you will say that's my fault.

Lastly,and most importantly, I pressed the button to resolve what my anti virus program reported as malware, because I trusted that my antivirus program was doing it's job and detected malware. That the whole point of buying antivirus and anti-malware protection. Becuase otherwise how would we know when our devices were infected ? Should we all Wait until we start to notice performance issues? Should we run some other sort of antivirus protection? And if so, then why pay for Avast? If we have to second guess our AV protection then what good is it?

Oh, and ignoring my issues for a minute. What about the people who still aren't aware of the problem who might have files or have it in their virus chest now? Those files are still tagged as infected, and unless those people happen to stop here they won't be aware of it. And what about what happens now? If any of us see a lot of files tagged with VBS tomorrow, will we just assume it is a bug in Avast and ignore it? That could really be opening up a can of worms.

Now you want to put this all on the head of those of us who Pressed the button then fine. But then, you aren't the one paying for Avast or trying to sell it.

No it can't be your fault if files cannot be restored. I have last version and restoring from chest working, but if i want test file inside chest nothing happend.Too much bugs and issuses with this product is unbeliveable.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 04:56:41 PM by TheOwner »

REDACTED

Probably analysing the f... up and making sure it doesn't happen again. This can have serious consequences for their business.

Oh I'd say serious consequences for their business. I'm pretty pissed that my other computer is now a paperweight because I trusted my anti-virus and let it run a boot time scan where it appears to have decided that every single microsoft file it could find needed to be deleted.  I went to bed letting it run the scan.  Woke up to a computer sitting in the boot time scan still.

It didn't move things to the virus chest (except that I saw it move ONE file from AVAST to the chest) it says it DELETED the bad files.

Want to tell me how I restore my Windows 10 now??

And I knew I shouldn't have trusted it when it started doing that crap but I'm a new mom running on 3 hours of sleep and it was time to go nurse the baby and try to get some Zs myself!

REDACTED

Got up this morning to find an infection warning (VBS: Malware Gen) on 5 files from last night's scan.  I ran automatic fix.  One of the files could not be deleted until next boot.  Avast recommended that I run a boot-time scan, so I did.  I was a bit panicky at this point.  It proceeded to send countless more files to the chest and automatically deleted many others. 

I was starting to get skeptical, so while it was running, I searched for this issue on my phone and discovered this thread.  I immediately hit the escape key to stop the damage.  The boot-time scan had run for about 5 minutes and deleted an unknown number of files.  I was able to restore everything sent to the chest. 

All my personal files are backed up, but I have no idea WHAT was deleted during those 5 minutes.  So no idea WHAT needs to be restored from backup, if anything.  So far, the system is running OK, but only time will tell what damage was done to the OS and other programs.  I really don't feel like wasting the rest of my day reinstalling the OS and all my programs/data.

It's absolutely unthinkable that this was allowed out into the wild with no testing whatsoever.  Unthinkable.  There should be a Hippocratic oath for the AV business: "First, do no harm."  I'm quite sure that many people were harmed more than me in this sad saga, so I guess I'm fortunate.

REDACTED

The stuff I lost was mostly MP3s and pdfs. Ironically, only because the backup drive was plugged in at the time (to check it). Luckily, it seems that everything missing was also backed up elsewhere. At least so far. But I also haven't rebooted the PC yet. Cloned the drive a few weeks back and want to make sure I copy my new files onto another drive in case I have to restore.

Part of the reason why I trusted Avast about the malware was that I had just had issues with my wireless router (someone got into it and changed the login info), and recently discovered that Avast Pro no longer includes a firewall.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 04:58:42 PM by atgxtg »

Offline TheOwner

• Poster
Got up this morning to find an infection warning (VBS: Malware Gen) on 5 files from last night's scan.  I ran automatic fix.  One of the files could not be deleted until next boot.  Avast recommended that I run a boot-time scan, so I did.  I was a bit panicky at this point.  It proceeded to send countless more files to the chest and automatically deleted many others. 

I was starting to get skeptical, so while it was running, I searched for this issue on my phone and discovered this thread.  I immediately hit the escape key to stop the damage.  The boot-time scan had run for about 5 minutes and deleted an unknown number of files.  I was able to restore everything sent to the chest. 

All my personal files are backed up, but I have no idea WHAT was deleted during those 5 minutes.  So no idea WHAT needs to be restored from backup, if anything.  So far, the system is running OK, but only time will tell what damage was done to the OS and other programs.  I really don't feel like wasting the rest of my day reinstalling the OS and all my programs/data.

It's absolutely unthinkable that this was allowed out into the wild with no testing whatsoever.  Unthinkable.  There should be a Hippocratic oath for the AV business: "First, do no harm."  I'm quite sure that many people were harmed more than me in this sad saga, so I guess I'm fortunate.

I must 100% agree, this is unacceptable. And creating logs for all scans  is disabled by default. So this want some change. But if you have partition backup, there is good time for restore.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 05:18:51 PM by TheOwner »

Offline Caso

Oh I'd say serious consequences for their business. I'm pretty pissed that my other computer is now a paperweight because I trusted my anti-virus and let it run a boot time scan where it appears to have decided that every single microsoft file it could find needed to be deleted.  I went to bed letting it run the scan.  Woke up to a computer sitting in the boot time scan still.

It didn't move things to the virus chest (except that I saw it move ONE file from AVAST to the chest) it says it DELETED the bad files.

Want to tell me how I restore my Windows 10 now??

And I knew I shouldn't have trusted it when it started doing that crap but I'm a new mom running on 3 hours of sleep and it was time to go nurse the baby and try to get some Zs myself!

First, congrats on your new baby. I have two little ones myself (9 months, twins, one girl, one boy) so i can totally relate to your plight. I could guide you through the process of restoring your windows 10 OS, but i believe someone from avast should have that responsibility.

They must take responsibility on this screw up. 

REDACTED

AVAST you fucking suck ! I wasnt sure about the false positives so i wiped out my HD to be safe and started fresh since it was only happening on Amazon.com and when i went to launch browsers they were bogging down from all the excessive trojan warnings nonstop.. FFS.. now i wonder if i should have stayed with Nortons.

REDACTED

if you dont have anything usefull to say please dont thanks... whole focus of a thread is to be helpful not sarcastic

If you're referring to my quoting you and asking my question, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic... you said you had an issue/problem with the new virus definitions database [QUOTE: Noixz: "My Issue is with the new VPS (170222-00)"], I was seriously trying to ask (as stated) if it's an issue the rest of us need to be concerned with, especially considering the whole reason this thread exists... as in false-positives causing several files to be deleted that didn't need to be.

Just because I said "ruh-roh" or tried to be a bit more subtle/soft about it, doesn't mean I'm not asking a legit question.  Perhaps you need to get off your high-horse and realize that not everybody is going to phrase or word everything to your specific standards or likings.  ::) :P

Guessing this means that the "problem" that you have with the new database was obviously troll-bait, and it's best to just add you to my ignore list.  Good day.  8)

EDIT: This is exactly what I said - " :o Ruh-roh, what's going on with the new def database?  Anything the rest of us should be concerned with, especially as compared to why this thread even exists?  :-\ "

PS - Next time when you say that you have a problem with a product or its definition-database, you might want to specify WHAT THAT PROBLEM ACTUALLY IS... rather than choosing to get triggered by, and snapping at, those that actually give a crap to ask what that problem might be.  (In a thread such as this, saying you have a problem with the new database, may as well equate to shouting "fire" in a movie-theater when there's no actual fire.)

PPS - Thank you for giving a shining example as to what it means to *not* be helpful, nor constructive, to a thread.  ;D

Maybe you should spend time reading the forums and you would see that i posted my issue as well as a Picture to the issue instead of just saying "Oh look he only posted his issue without giving info" come on now.. really anyways thanks for giving a shinning example of "Not" helpful.. keep targeting people with your PS and PPS and what not anyways ... some people

Anyways back to problem at hand.. still getting issue with  Current version of the Database ... its been updated and says it has current version that was released..
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 05:22:06 PM by Noixz »

REDACTED

Here is what I got for a response from Support:

Hello (I deleted my name here).

We apologize for the inconvenience caused.

We would like to inform you that this is a false positive and we have updated Avast Virus definitions in our server.

We request you to update Avast manually and restart your computer.

Open Avast interface--> click on settings--> select update and perform manual update.

After performing Avast update, the popup will not come again.

We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Thank you for contacting Avast Support.

Arundathi
The Avast Support Team

Avast Software s.r.o., Enterprise Office Center, Pikrtova 1737/1A, 140 00 Prague 4, Czech Republic

So maybe we should all be doing a manual update and reboot?

BTW, I'm not rebooting my PC until I finish backing up my files.

Offline TheOwner

• Poster
if you dont have anything usefull to say please dont thanks... whole focus of a thread is to be helpful not sarcastic

If you're referring to my quoting you and asking my question, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic... you said you had an issue/problem with the new virus definitions database [QUOTE: Noixz: "My Issue is with the new VPS (170222-00)"], I was seriously trying to ask (as stated) if it's an issue the rest of us need to be concerned with, especially considering the whole reason this thread exists... as in false-positives causing several files to be deleted that didn't need to be.

Just because I said "ruh-roh" or tried to be a bit more subtle/soft about it, doesn't mean I'm not asking a legit question.  Perhaps you need to get off your high-horse and realize that not everybody is going to phrase or word everything to your specific standards or likings.  ::) :P

Guessing this means that the "problem" that you have with the new database was obviously troll-bait, and it's best to just add you to my ignore list.  Good day.  8)

EDIT: This is exactly what I said - " :o Ruh-roh, what's going on with the new def database?  Anything the rest of us should be concerned with, especially as compared to why this thread even exists?  :-\ "

PS - Next time when you say that you have a problem with a product or its definition-database, you might want to specify WHAT THAT PROBLEM ACTUALLY IS... rather than choosing to get triggered by, and snapping at, those that actually give a crap to ask what that problem might be.  (In a thread such as this, saying you have a problem with the new database, may as well equate to shouting "fire" in a movie-theater when there's no actual fire.)

PPS - Thank you for giving a shining example as to what it means to *not* be helpful, nor constructive, to a thread.  ;D

Maybe you should spend time reading the forums and you would see that i posted my issue as well as a Picture to the issue instead of just saying "Oh look he only posted his issue without giving info" come on now.. really anyways thanks for giving a shinning example of "Not" helpful.. keep targeting people with your PS and PPS and what not anyways ... some people

Anyways back to problem at hand.. still getting issue with  Current version of the Database ... its been updated and says it has current version that was released..
Try full scan with this new database. It should not find anything.

REDACTED

Try full scan with this new database. It should not find anything.

that was from the new batabase, i also did virus chest scan of each file (well most of them) and they do come up no virus found.

Edit: I'm actually doing another one right at this moment.. might take awhile since its 1tb of info

Offline TheOwner

• Poster
If not help try restart your computer. For me fixed but i dont know why scanning files in chest do nothing.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
This one mostly triggered on webpages so it was rather harmless imo.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline TheOwner

• Poster
True unitll you start full system scan. There is big threat of deleting files. Also if you run boot time scan it is known for auto deleting files from your HDD. So this is harmless? WORSE THEN VIRUS!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 05:50:25 PM by TheOwner »