Author Topic: [FIXED] [VBS: Malware Gen] False positives Vir. def: 170221-1 22.2.2017 0:08:41  (Read 155681 times)

Offline Patrick49

After doing the full scan, I got some stuff in the virus chest. I chose fix automatically, some were deleted some just sit in the chest. If I do a system restore to Feb 2, will things go back to then including an MT virus chest.

Offline TrueIndian

• Poster
After doing the full scan, I got some stuff in the virus chest. I chose fix automatically, some were deleted some just sit in the chest. If I do a system restore to Feb 2, will things go back to then including an MT virus chest.

Yes it will since the restore point will restore the files that were originally there unless some of the programs that were deleted were installed after 2nd of February.Of course you can choose a restore point before 21st of Feb if available.

Keep us posted if you need help

REDACTED

So long story short, scanned last night, false positives, scared, boot time scan, avast deleted lots of files.

I have restored all files from the virus chest. However I can no longer open pictures, or the Photos windows 10 app.
When I double click on a photo I receive an error saying something along the lines of "Windows cannot find C:/blahblah/picture.jpeg please check that the destination is spelled correctly."

I have done a chkdsk scan, i have done an sfc scan. I cannot do a system restore due to a "Registry Error", not even in safe mode, going to try to uninstall avast and try again.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to restore the deleted system files?

Update.

I also cannot open the windows store, running WSReset.exe returns an error of ms-windows-store:PurgeCaches the app didn't start
I have tried using both Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"} and ((Get-ChildItem “HKLM:SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx\AppxAllUserStore\InboxApplications”) | Get-ItemProperty).Path | Add-AppxPackage -Register -DisableDevelopmentMode in powershell, no fix.

So the only conclusion is that Avast has deleted specific files pertaining to these items. Would GREATLY appreciate any help.

Running the AppsDiagnostic from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/69e76f90-d54c-44cf-9851-c2d1542790db/run-the-troubleshooter-for-windows-apps returns "Windows Store cache may be damaged"

Win 10
SSD for OS HD for everything else
i7-4970k
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 06:06:31 AM by Nate123 »

Offline TrueIndian

• Poster
System restore is the best option for now:
Log on to your computer as an administrator.
Open the Control Panel by clicking Start, and then clicking Control Panel.
Click System and Security, and then click System.
Under the Control Panel Home menu, click System protection.
If you are prompted for an administrator password, type your password. If you are asked for confirmation, provide confirmation.

Click System Restore.
Choose a restore point.(Make sure its not on 21st of feb or may go back to a state where avast deleted your files)
Click Next, and then click Finish to confirm your restore point.
To start the restore process, click Yes.
Once the system restore is complete, your computer will restart.

REDACTED

The Avast team have gone quiet again.... cmon guys speak up, The almighty avast overlords who send down the updates to us all

REDACTED

System restore is the best option for now

System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed.

Details:

System Restore failed while restoring the directory from the restore point.
 Source: AppxStaging
 Destination: %ProgramFiles%\WindowsApps
An unspecified error occured during System Restore. (0x80070091)

REDACTED

Now… I’ve been foolish enough to start a boot scan. I stopped it after seeing hundreds of files being deleted. After some attempts I was able to log into my Win10 again. I’ve restored the files in the chest. But after testing a bit I realized that my OS is severely damaged. I get plenty of file not found error messages. I lost some work-related files.
I don’t need an apology from Avast. You probably didn’t do it on purpose. I don’t need an explanation what you will do in the future to avoid this.
What the affected users need right now is help from the Avast team how to minimize the damage. What options do we have? If you want to re-establish some trust in your product and service, this is probably the way to go.
I guess I will have to spend a day on the weekend to re-install my OS. At the moment I don’t think that Avast will make it back to my trusted software list.

Offline TrueIndian

• Poster

Offline Shaun985

RoboGeisha, are you using definitions 170222-3 and still having this problem?  I thought it was fixed?  Time to disable all scheduled scans then!  Any official word from Avast for this rather major issue??

Offline TrueIndian

• Poster
the problem was already fixed and avast already responded check my previous post.  ::)

Offline Shaun985

TrueIndian, if you read some of the earlier posts, these users are updated to 170222-3 and still having the exact same problem.  Thus I was asking if this was/is fixed or if Avast has acknowledged the problem still exists with the latest update.  ::)

REDACTED

Shaun985, I have 170222-3 and it seems to be ok. However, at the moment I don't feel like running another scan to confirm that there will be no additional damage.
TrueIndian, I know about the statement and referred to it in my post.

Offline Shaun985

Member Raymond84 here says that he is on 170222-3 and still having the same problem which is troubling.

REDACTED

System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed.

Details:

This same error has occured with my system restore as well.  Let me know if you end up figuring it out...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 06:55:24 AM by xiaowudao »

REDACTED

Details:

This same error has occured with my system restore as well.  Let me know if you end up figuring it out...
Oh yes, I tried that too... same result: System Restore failed