Author Topic: Virus Chest and False Positives  (Read 1645 times)

REDACTED

Virus Chest and False Positives
« on: February 22, 2017, 11:43:49 PM »
Hello Everyone!

I have a couple questions about Avast.

I encountered a threat warning of "VBS: Malware Gen" from Avast when I accessed a website for royalty-free music via YouTube Creator Studio.

I ran a Full System Scan and when it finished, the result was a lot of files marked as "VBS: Malware Gen." I selected the option to quarantine these files in the Virus Chest.
I looked through the Avast forums for an answer and found a recent topic that discussed about this. Apparently, these are false positives which should have been corrected after the current update.

I opened the Virus Chest and scanned all files within. Most of them showed "-no virus-" but a few files were still marked as VBS: Malware Gen (See image).
Are these also false positives? I scanned some of the marked files individually with Avast and Malwarebytes and they showed no threat.

The next question is about using the Virus Chest. I right-clicked a file and selected "Restore" to move it back to its original location. However, the file still remained in the Virus Chest. I thought the file would no longer be in the Virus Chest list after it is restored.
Is this how the Chest normally works?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user

REDACTED

Re: Virus Chest and False Positives
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 08:29:24 AM »
Thanks! :D

That clears up the Virus Chest issue!

Still wondering about the files marked VBS Malware Gen after the update. I've tried scanning each file in their original locations and no threat is detected