Author Topic: Virus Chest?  (Read 5028 times)

REDACTED

Re: Virus Chest?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2017, 05:31:41 AM »
I usually do have back ups. But stupid Windows 10 kind of screwed me over... in Windows 7 there was usually that auto restore point whenever you turn on your computer or uninstalled something. But for some in reason in Windows 10 none of this crap works.

Also usually Iobit has a create restore point, which usually works perfectly fine since I have used it before in both Windows 7 and Windows 10 before the anniversary update in 1511... but for some reason in Windows 10 1607 (anniversary update) it failed to create the restore point. This is the first time I have had to attempt to restore something since updating to Windows 10 1607 like 8 months ago.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2017, 05:33:06 AM »
Never rely on a restore point.
They are completely useless if e.g. the drive fails.

Offline TrueIndian

• Poster
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2017, 05:35:01 AM »
I usually do have back ups. But stupid Windows 10 kind of screwed me over... in Windows 7 there was usually that auto restore point whenever you turn on your computer or uninstalled something. But for some in reason in Windows 10 none of this crap works.

Also usually Iobit has a create restore point, which usually works perfectly fine since I have used it before in both Windows 7 and Windows 10 before the anniversary update in 1511... but for some reason in Windows 10 1607 (anniversary update) it failed to create the restore point. This is the first time I have had to attempt to restore something since updating to Windows 10 1607 like 8 months ago.

There is a reason why I never upgraded to win10.I think system restore was the most reliable and best option to get your files back.

REDACTED

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2017, 05:45:05 AM »
There is a reason why I never upgraded to win10.I think system restore was the most reliable and best option to get your files back.

Yeah I never had a catastrophic chain of failure like this before.

Where not only did Windows safety measures fail, damn Iobit failed also. Not to mention never had a serious false positive issue like this before with Avast... not to mention never had an Avast update bug like this before either.

Luckily for me I don't really keep anything vital on my computer, even if it breaks. Though it will be super annoying for me to find out my like super old games/software installers are all broken because of this, especially when I didn't actually look through the list of things that were moved into the virus chest before reinstalling Avast.

Though I hope after this incident Avast takes way more care on testing false positives and do more quality control on testing stuff before definition releases because in this false positive wave, it wasn't just like 1 or 2 things wrongly marked, it was a ton of basic vital system programs. I saw quite a a few windows system files flagged yesterday when I quickly looked at the results.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 05:49:47 AM by armybear1 »

Offline TrueIndian

• Poster
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2017, 06:01:37 AM »
That's the reason its a must to have backup images of your system in case something goes wrong.

Avast has already taken some steps to stop this:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=197572.msg1371425#msg1371425

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2017, 06:04:45 AM »
Something like this can be useful > https://www.transip.nl/stack/ (It is in Dutch, but Google translate will work)
1 TB storage for free, automatic synchronization in the background of files/folders.

REDACTED

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2017, 06:23:59 AM »
That's the reason its a must to have backup images of your system in case something goes wrong.

Avast has already taken some steps to stop this:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=197572.msg1371425#msg1371425

Even with a system backup image, it wouldn't have done much against this because this because a lot of recent files would still be lost. Not to mention Avast actually deleted a ton of my VMDK files (virtual box system images) when it couldn't move them yesterday even before the massacre that happened today when all the virus chest stuff got deleted.