Author Topic: [VBS: Malware Gen] False positives  (Read 2401 times)

REDACTED

[VBS: Malware Gen] False positives
« on: February 23, 2017, 09:32:30 PM »
I want to know if Avast is going to give back what they have taken.
I lost a full day re-installing my OS due to this issue and many others DELETED important files and corrupted their windows system in one way or another.

Eye for an eye, Avast if you have taken a day away from someone you should give it back, add back 1 day at least to every licence holder who reports lost time from this 'mistake'

« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 11:09:41 PM by neonaus »

REDACTED

Re: [VBS: Malware Gen] False positives, Eye for an Eye
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 11:00:13 AM »
no update ? I only want 1 day back, it's what I lost due to Avast's mistake.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 11:09:42 AM »
You install software at your own risk.
If you want a compensation, go talk to your insurance company.

If it took you a day to put everything back, you don't have a good recovery plan.
It takes me on my slowest system only 1 hour to put everything back.

Lost files ?
The user should have a decent backup system.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 11:29:24 AM »
I updated my phone the other day, the update bricked the phone.

Called the phone company and they issued me with 1 week free on my next bill, because their *update* caused me issues.

What's different in this case?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 11:35:32 AM »
Contact avast  >>  https://support.avast.com/support/tickets/new

Ticket system work according to first in / first out, so if you create a new you are put back in line

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 09:30:12 PM »
I'm back using Avast,

this thread wasn't to have a dig at them but I've been a paying, loyal Avast customer for 4 years. I was just really upset that I had to go to all this trouble with a product I love.  :'( :'(

I apologise if this thread appears a little unfriendly.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 10:39:42 PM »
Whilst you have every right to feel aggrieved, perhaps more so as a paying customer. But even free users felt anger at how this can happen.

I don't believe there is an AV company that hasn't had a false positive at some time, some with disastrous consequences, some with just minor hassle.

One thing is sure, people should use this as a wakeup call to have a robust backup and recovery strategy, not just for the possibility of a false positive, but any major issue that is likely to cost you serious time.

Hard disk imaging software is such a strategy to make it easy to set your system back to what it was before the beta should you experience a problem you can't live with.

I do a weekly image backup of my hard drive and keep the last 6 image backups, so at worst I could lose 6 days of system changes, updated software, etc. I also do a daily backup of more volatile data (data files, Word, Excel, emails, addresses, bookmarks, etc). There are image backup software that can do incremental updates, which makes your potential loss less than a day.

This strategy has saved my backside many times over the years. If I experience a problem that is likely to take me longer than the time it takes to restore one of my backups, then generally it is use the backup. Not one of these times I have used the recovery image has it been related to either an FP or virus infection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security