Author Topic: VBS: Malware-gen Infections  (Read 3562 times)

REDACTED

VBS: Malware-gen Infections
« on: February 22, 2017, 11:43:59 PM »
Hello,

I have used Avast for about a month without any problems or infections on my mac. Yesterday, I accessed Huffingpost and Avast blocked the virus and had it in the chest and I deleted it. So, I thought I was safe. Today, I ran another scan and found that as of typing this, 32 infections have been found while I removed virus yesterday. All of these files are from iMovie and spotlight search. So, are these all false positives, or should I be genuinely worried?

Thanks,

Solemn.

REDACTED

Re: VBS: Malware-gen Infections
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 01:39:45 AM »
I have the same issue. After a full system scan Avast found over 16 infections in various mac native applications. I am convinced it's false positives.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 04:14:28 AM »
I have been experiencing the same issues.  I had uninstalled Avast for MAC and was going to go back to Norton for MAC through Comcast but it still appears that Norton safe web still doesn't work with Safari.  I reinstalled Avast and so far so good.  Avast for MAC is a much better product overall in my opinion.  Can't wait or the new 2017 update.

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 10:39:04 AM »
We are sorry about the False Positive (aka FP) that happened yesterday. It was fixed with VPS 170222-0. Please update your Virus Definitions (avast UI > Preferences > Updates > Update Now). The virus definitions are automatically updated several times a day (~4h).

- main forum thread https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=197572.0
- more details from head of ThreatLabs - https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=197572.msg1371425#msg1371425

Quality is also a feature.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 09:04:11 PM »
We are sorry about the False Positive (aka FP) that happened yesterday. It was fixed with VPS 170222-0. Please update your Virus Definitions (avast UI > Preferences > Updates > Update Now). The virus definitions are automatically updated several times a day (~4h).

- main forum thread https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=197572.0
- more details from head of ThreatLabs - https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=197572.msg1371425#msg1371425

My avast VPS is up to date, and I still am receiving all the same alerts and messages. My VPS is 17022101 and when I attempt to update it says that I am up to date. Is there another VPS coming out?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 09:51:38 PM »
You're VPS is not up-to-date.
Latest one is 170223-0 (unless there is already another new one)

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 03:24:35 AM »
This issue continues to frustrate me. I have updated my Avast repeatedly and it repeatedly tells me that I am up to date. I know that I am not because I am still on Virus definitions version: 17022101 and I continue to get the false positive. I am updating it using the Avast UI > Preferences > Updates > Update Now. Am I missing something? I'd really just love to check-out on Amazon and can't due to the FP and every time I open Finder I also receive the FP.

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 09:28:15 AM »
This issue continues to frustrate me. I have updated my Avast repeatedly and it repeatedly tells me that I am up to date. I know that I am not because I am still on Virus definitions version: 17022101 and I continue to get the false positive. I am updating it using the Avast UI > Preferences > Updates > Update Now. Am I missing something? I'd really just love to check-out on Amazon and can't due to the FP and every time I open Finder I also receive the FP.

najacobs206 - would you mind to send us your support package? Help > Avast Technical Support > Generate Support Package , it should collect all necessary data that we need to analyze your case
Quality is also a feature.