Author Topic: Standard shield not staying on custom  (Read 6139 times)

Battleship

Standard shield not staying on custom
« on: March 07, 2006, 10:50:31 PM »
v 4.6-763
I'm trying to use Protector suite QL that came on a new sony vaio (http://www.upek.com/products/protector.asp).
It has something called my safe which is basically an encrypted volume of X size to store files.  Is opened with a valid scan of your fingerprint.  When I terminate the standard shield from running, the my safe app can unlock the volume just fine.  When I have the standard shield running it pops up a box and says " Cannot create My Safe view object.  The host file cannot be mounted because it is currently in use or just was used by some other application. ...".
I tried setting the standard shield to custom and adding my documents\my safe as an area not to scan but after closing the window and reopening it the standard shield is set to high, not custom.  Are there different logs i can see what avast exactly is blocking?  Nothing was showing up in the log viewer at all.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Standard shield not staying on custom
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 11:09:13 PM »
Whilst having no idea of the contents of the Protector suite QL but how have you been trying to exclude it ?
It would need to be excluded from the on-access and on-demand scans, see images.

Unless you change something in standard shield that effectively changes the scanning sensitivity level then the slider would revert to what you had before. Simply adding some locations to exclude wouldn't effect the scanner sensitivity level.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

hmarsili

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 09:03:00 AM »
I'm having the same problem on a TOSHIBA laptop. I'm unable to use the PROTECTION SUITE QL unless I shutdown the AVAST active-protection. I try excluding temp folders and the software main folders. Nothing works.

Any ideas?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 03:17:49 PM »
What does Protection Suite QL do ?
It isn't advised to have two resident AVs installed on your system, it could cause a conflict.

Why are you unable to use it are there any errors or warnings ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

hmarsili

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 06:02:32 PM »
This software is a FINGERPRINTS reader which is standard in Sony, Toshiba and some Compaq laptos. Is required to use the reader and to interact with security information, as for example, MY SECURITY FOLDER, which is encrypted.

If I disable the STANDARD SHIELD it works. If not, the software gives an error saying that OTHER SOFTWARE is locking the file. I was unable to determine which file it is locked.

Any ideas?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 07:26:12 PM »
AVs I think lock files so they can scan them prior to their execution, this is to prevent then being launched to protect you from infection if it were a virus. Is there no way to exclude the ashServ.exe file from being reported and let it get on with its work ?

hmarsili

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006, 08:35:39 PM »
Sorry, I don't quite follow.

I think the problem is AVAST locking the certificate or 'key' used to encrypt the files. The FINGERPRINTS soft only shows an error that key is LOCKED by other program.

Maybe the solution is to exclude that file, the problem is, I don't know where is stored.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006, 10:24:45 PM »
As I said I know nothing about Protection Suite QL so I don't know how it works, if it uses a fingerprints signatures file to compare that files haven't changed. So I assume it must access that file, so it may be possible that avast will scan that file when it is accessed (assumption).

Enable 'Show detailed info on performed actions' in standard shield that will show what files are being scanned.

Maybe the solution is to exclude that file, the problem is, I don't know where is stored.
Which file are we talking about ?
What sensitivity is standard shield on (Normal is the default, High will scan more files) ?

hmarsili

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2006, 10:54:26 PM »
I did that and I found 2 directorys which are accessed. The program directory in the APPPLICATION DATA directory and the MY SECURITY folder containing the encrypted file in MY DOCUMENTS.

I already added one of them, but the /* was missing.

IT WORKS NOW. THANK YOU.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2006, 11:21:41 PM »
Glad I could help, welcome to the forums.