Author Topic: Avast Mac stops at 50% than hangs indeffinitely  (Read 3223 times)

REDACTED

Avast Mac stops at 50% than hangs indeffinitely
« on: February 28, 2017, 04:40:58 PM »
I had this problem for weeks now, and after removing and re-installing Avast, it still persists. Avast will scan and stop at 50% with no explanation or error messages.

This is an iMac 21.5 late 3013 running OSx Sierra

Another issue, which I wanted to address before posting this, was to generate a support package however, the route described in the posts here, seem to be working differently for me as you will see in the screenshots attached, and I am unable to generate this package when I click  Help → Avast Technical Support → Generate support package but get a feedback windows instead, which leaves no file when completed.

Please shed some light in this anyone.

Thank You

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Avast Mac stops at 50% than hangs indeffinitely
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 05:07:07 PM »
I had this problem for weeks now, and after removing and re-installing Avast, it still persists. Avast will scan and stop at 50% with no explanation or error messages.

This is an iMac 21.5 late 3013 running OSx Sierra

The scanner most probably "hangs" on some file on your disc. Is the "com.avast.daemon" process consuming 100% CPU? You may also use the command line scanner (see "man scan") with the "-a" option and look where the progress stops. This could help investigating what file is causing the deadlock/hang.

Another issue, which I wanted to address before posting this, was to generate a support package however, the route described in the posts here, seem to be working differently for me as you will see in the screenshots attached, and I am unable to generate this package when I click  Help → Avast Technical Support → Generate support package but get a feedback windows instead, which leaves no file when completed.

Please shed some light in this anyone.

Thank You

The support package generation/send process was redesigned and the sending is now integrated into the generation form. When you send the féorm, the generated support package will be automatically attached. However, in your case, the contents of the support package won't help us in any way as there is no info in it that could help to find the file causing the scan engine to hang/deadlock.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 11:48:37 AM »
Re Activity Monitor, I always have that in readiness so can show you that normal usage doesn't show any undue CPU usage. And com.avast.daemon shows 0.2%.

I then ran the 'Generate Support Package' again and got this, so still no CPU problem, I gather.

I am afraid your last suggestion fools me - can you advise me (I tried Googling of course!) on how to get
>
> command line scanner (see "man scan") with the "-a" option

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 02:24:12 PM »
I am afraid your last suggestion fools me - can you advise me (I tried Googling of course!) on how to get
>
> command line scanner (see "man scan") with the "-a" option

Avast comes with a command line scan utility. To run it, open the "Terminal" application and run the following command:
Code: [Select]
scan -a /
To see what the command does (allways a good idea before running random commands pasted from the internet), you can see the "scan" command manual page by typing:
Code: [Select]
man scan
No magic, just elementary UNIX fashion ;-)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 02:28:54 PM »
No magic?
Dang !
I have been searching for a long time for the magic wand after installing avast.
I thought avast failed to deliver it, but now I know why I couldn't find it ;D