Author Topic: Differences between Normal/High Standard Shield?  (Read 2571 times)

LTS

Differences between Normal/High Standard Shield?
« on: March 09, 2006, 07:07:09 AM »
Hello,

Can someone tell me the difference between the Normal and High settings for the Standard Shield or for any of the Shields for that matter? 

I ask because on this computer (no problem on the other one), I have a problem with the Standard Shield set on High.  With this setting, at least every minute or two, my mouse (wireless) gets wierd and everything seems to freeze or at least be erratic.  When I watch the Task Manager with CPU usage set to the top, I can see it is AshServ.exe that jumps to the 95% or so level at that moment that is causing the problem.  It lasts for about 30 seconds or so, lets go, and then acts up in another minute or two.  Quite frustrating.  The other Shields are set on High, no problem.

I have essentially the same OS and safety programs running on both computers, so why it only does this on this computer is strange.  This computer actually has more ram and free space left (in GB's on both) than the other computer too, even more strange.

1) Difference(s) between Normal and High?  What am I compromising by having the Standard Shield set to Normal rather than High? 
2) What is causing this?
3) Has anyone else had this problem and found the fix?

Thanks,
LTS         

Thorny

Re: Differences between Normal/High Standard Shield?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 10:28:26 PM »
Hi,

A quick search of the forums would have got you this link http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=10751.msg91644#msg91644  ;)