Author Topic: Avast and excluding processes/paths  (Read 6006 times)

satyr

Avast and excluding processes/paths
« on: March 09, 2006, 12:59:26 AM »

Hey all after some time ...

I am thinking about something for a long time. The thing is that I've started using the free variant of Avast anti-virus program instead of also free AntiVir PE; however, AntiVir had a feature that was crucial to me, i.e. an "Exclude processes" option (called "Filters"), which is used in a way that you exclude and so any files that this program read from/writes into are not scanned by real-time/on-access protection engine.

You see, that way I was able to exclude a Buzzsaw program that I use to "on-the-fly" defragment my D:\ partition, excluding a set of paths doesn''t help in this case, since this program monitors/defragments the whole D:\ partition, and so it's almost imposible to predict which separate paths to exclude under Standard Shield's settings; and even if I would, then those directories would be vunerable to viruses.

So my question is it possible, and if it is, how to achive at least similar results with Avast, what would be the most similar way ??

thanks, satyr

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast and excluding processes/paths
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 03:09:31 AM »
So my question is it possible, and if it is, how to achive at least similar results with Avast, what would be the most similar way ??
avast can only allow exclusions of files or folders and not processes.
Anyway, if you configure the sensitivity to Custom and disable the scanning at open/read/modify/create actions, I think the files won't be scanned while defragmented. Can you test? Does the Standard Shield settings show the last file being scanned as the one being defragmented?
The best things in life are free.

satyr

Re: Avast and excluding processes/paths
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 10:36:45 PM »

Thanks much Tech for a quicky reply; I am planning to test it today ...

satyr