Author Topic: How to schedule scans, etc.?  (Read 3912 times)

cedarcreekponies

How to schedule scans, etc.?
« on: March 11, 2006, 09:40:38 PM »
Hey ya'll -

I am wondering how I can set my Avast up for scheduled scans, etc? Thanks and have a nice weekend!

Peace - Deedee!
       Paw Peace - Nookie, Shorty & Harry!

It takes a big man to walk a small dog
       And a real man to walk a hairless one!
            AA OUTFITTERS IS NOW ONLINE!
         http://www.aaoutfittersonline.com/

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: How to schedule scans, etc.?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 09:52:21 PM »
I am wondering how I can set my Avast up for scheduled scans, etc? Thanks and have a nice weekend!
No, only in Professional version (see picture here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=13315.msg112285#msg112285).

In Home version you can check the option "Don't show this window again" as soon as the first virus warning appears, and click on "No action" button. This way, nothing will be done and you will be presented the results at the end (and you can perform actions from there).

Well, that's the way it is, I am afraid; you may call it a limitation of the Home Edition of avast!. In the Professional Edition, you can configure the task to perform automatic actions (or, don't do anything).
In the Home version, you may check the "Don't show again" checkbox in the Virus warning dialog - but only after the first virus has been found (because you won't see the virus dialog until then).

Or you can use Silent Mode:

Left click the 'a' blue icon.
It will start On-access protection

Click on Internet Mail and then on Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and select Silent Mode and the default answer No. This will send the file (email) to Chest.

Do the same for the and Outlook/Exchange plugin.
The answer Yes in Silent Mode keeps the virus in the file or into the message (attach) and continue the scanning. You can't configure 'delete the infected file' in the Home version.

You can do the same for Standard Shield provider, but it won't be a good idea...

Silent mode in the case of the WebShield provider simply means that avast will keep pressing the "Abort connection" button for hte user automatically.
The best things in life are free.

cedarcreekponies

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 09:57:09 PM »
Thanks a lot - I appreciate your info!

Peace - Deedee!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 09:59:52 PM »
These advanced automated/scheduling options are only available in the Pro version.

Check This out - HOWTO: Scheduled Automatic Scans avast! Home Version!

The major disadvantage with the task scheduler trick of using ashquick.exe is, it will scan every file of the hdd, partition, folder or file that you set it to scan; even those files not considered a potential threat, this can take a long time. It is possible to add certain folders to the exclusions list for say your media files, etc. This could leave you vulnerable if that folder got infected as it wouldn't be scanned by the on-demand scanner as you have excluded it.

The Pro version gives a lot more flexibility and the scan would follow the settings and exclusions, etc. of the regular scan.

With the different levels of protection of protection and the fall back of the Standard Shield, I find the need for daily scheduled scans lessened. I prefer to do a manual scan with my regular weekly maintenance tasks.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

cedarcreekponies

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 10:07:37 PM »
Thanks to you, also for your info - it's appreciated!

Peace - Deedee!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 10:52:58 PM »
No problem, welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security