Author Topic: NEW: Windows client 17.2.2517 & Cloud Console 2.21  (Read 12072 times)

REDACTED

Re: NEW: Windows client 17.2.2517 & Cloud Console 2.21
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2017, 09:01:38 AM »
Can anyone report that the Temp profile issue is completely "cured" by a single reboot?

Can't say I can confirm with certainty.  I only have about 15 Domain PCs and half of them stay logged in and therefore haven't been logged out/rebooted yet.

I did find two machines that exhibited this problem and it went away after a reboot and logged in and out twice successfully after.  I know it's not very thorough but it's enough for my small site for now.

I also wonder, if you have ongoing problems that is, if it is related in any way to Group Policy settings?  If I recall I have disabled Asynchronous Logon in my Domain (enabled is the default).   I also don't have roaming profiles.

See if the problem occurs on the same machines using a local logon with non-roaming profile.

Definitely log this fault with Support if this is hurting your business.

I've rebooted 50 Workstations on 3 different domains and I have not seen the issue again.  I'm going to say that a single reboot fixes this issue, but not 100% positive.  I'll report back if any of these computers end up back on the Temp profile.

Thanks!

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2017, 01:51:42 PM »
Hi,

I have avast on approx 250 PCs and I've seen this issue across our entire AD domain. It seems that Avast is locking the user's NTUSER.DAT file so the local user profile fails to load despite the file being excluded in the exclusions list.

A reboot usually clears the problem and removes the lock but I can confirm this doesn't always work so you may find a further reboot is required.

I have uninstalled the behaviour shield on all our computers just in case this was causing the issue however I am still facing the user profile issue today. I think avast have rolled out a fix as I'm seeing less and less failed profiles loading.

Offline Manley

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2017, 03:38:49 PM »
I have 500 Windows 10 client computers and no one has said anything to me about temp profiles. I have only had the issue on my 6 Windows Server 2012 R2 servers. They all logged in RDP with temp profile. After a single reboot, then those servers were back to normal, as far as I know.

I'm going to work on this all day in our Lab.  I need to have a proven solution by tomorrow morning.

Our servers do not run Avast (or any A/V), so it's client side.  I was thinking the same thing about Behavior Shield, I'll test turning it off and rebooting 10 times.

Can anyone report that the Temp profile issue is completely "cured" by a single reboot?

Thanks!

REDACTED

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2017, 06:33:47 PM »
Big time issues with this problem.  I can usually get a profile to log on with a reboot if the account already exists.  Trying to create a new account . . . no joy.  It will not create.

Looking at the event viewer, I see issues with 2 files being copied by the default profile:

c:\users\default\appdata\roaming\avast
c:\users\temp\appdata\roaming\avast

The problem I see is that when I go to the default profile and look under roaming . . . there is no folder called "AVAST", it is called "AVAST Software".  Looks to me like avast is looking for a folder that does not exist in this new version.

I went into the default user and renamed the "AVAST Software" folder to "AVAST" . . . and then was able to create new accounts.

Guess now I just have to go to all my domain computers and change the AVAST Software folder name.  :-(

I have tested this on 2 separate computers with success.

Offline Manley

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2017, 06:47:23 PM »
Wow, great trouble-shooting. I hope misak and other Avast techs and engineers see this.

Big time issues with this problem.  I can usually get a profile to log on with a reboot if the account already exists.  Trying to create a new account . . . no joy.  It will not create.

Looking at the event viewer, I see issues with 2 files being copied by the default profile:

c:\users\default\appdata\roaming\avast
c:\users\temp\appdata\roaming\avast

The problem I see is that when I go to the default profile and look under roaming . . . there is no folder called "AVAST", it is called "AVAST Software".  Looks to me like avast is looking for a folder that does not exist in this new version.

I went into the default user and renamed the "AVAST Software" folder to "AVAST" . . . and then was able to create new accounts.

Guess now I just have to go to all my domain computers and change the AVAST Software folder name.  :-(

I have tested this on 2 separate computers with success.

REDACTED

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2017, 11:24:15 AM »
Hi,

I have avast on approx 250 PCs and I've seen this issue across our entire AD domain. It seems that Avast is locking the user's NTUSER.DAT file so the local user profile fails to load despite the file being excluded in the exclusions list.

A reboot usually clears the problem and removes the lock but I can confirm this doesn't always work so you may find a further reboot is required.

I have uninstalled the behaviour shield on all our computers just in case this was causing the issue however I am still facing the user profile issue today. I think avast have rolled out a fix as I'm seeing less and less failed profiles loading.

I haven't seen this issue for two days now so fingers cross all is OK!

REDACTED

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2017, 07:22:30 PM »
We have Avast! installed on ~16,500 machines, and I am sitting here with my fingers crossed right now. Program updates are set to manual under the policy I created, but techs are reporting that some systems are prompting them with the "The administrator has initiated an update" reboot dialog. If this starts causing issues on our thousands of systems, I'm going to be up the creek...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 07:25:40 PM by DFox911 »

REDACTED

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2017, 11:39:32 PM »
I am almost wondering if it had something to do with the copying the default profile on my student machines.  I have had no issue with staff machines other than requiring a reboot to correct the temporary profile.  The profile issue has so far been limited to student machines where it would not create a new profile.

REDACTED

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2017, 11:32:51 AM »
I couldn't reproduce solution with simply rebooting but it seems that disabling the self-defence-module does help for now.

And to be more precise: The exact issue I encountered (and I couldn't take a look earlier even though the issues have been reported since 2017-03-05 at least) is "Profile is only partly synchronised" (or something like that) when logging in in AD-Environment with roaming profiles and where the user already had a profile on the local machine. Seemingly changes to the profile are not saved to the server and  new profiles can't be created (our profiles are not deleted after user logs out), so it was not a total killer but could easily be in other environments I guess.

At least no problems like that exist up the creek :-).

« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 11:43:00 AM by IT-House »

Offline PetrP

• Avast team
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2017, 05:21:26 PM »
Hello,

today we released a micro update for the self defense which should also fix the issue with roaming profiles.

Just give it some time to download or you can force it by a reboot or by executing AvastEmUpdate.exe. But when the update is applied a reboot is needed to take effect.

Thanks

Petr
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 05:22:59 PM by PetrP »

REDACTED

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2017, 08:57:52 PM »
After micro-update and PC restart my avast! Business version is: 17.2.2517 (build 17.2.3419.59)

Thanks for the update!

REDACTED

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2017, 02:07:01 AM »
Several workstations (Windows 7 and Windows 10) have been reporting the following error related to AvLaunch.exe when any user logs on since their client software was updated to version 17.2.2517:

"The exception unknown software exception (0x40000015) occurred in the application at location [location varies]."

I've tried using the latest version of the removal utility to no avail.

UPDATE:  I've started a new thread for this issue because this thread seems focused on a different issue.
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=198716.0
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 05:55:13 PM by destrucity »

REDACTED

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2017, 06:50:27 PM »
Hello,

today we released a micro update for the self defense which should also fix the issue with roaming profiles.

Just give it some time to download or you can force it by a reboot or by executing AvastEmUpdate.exe. But when the update is applied a reboot is needed to take effect.

Thanks

Petr

I updated one System to version xxx.59 but the issue with the roaming prfiles only partly synchronised is still there. Will do a further test on another system.

Offline Manley

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2017, 12:52:14 PM »
Well, I hope that's not the case for all of us. Please keep the devs updated here so they can be aware of continuing problems. I guess I will see what problems, if any, I have when I get to work this morning.

Offline Manley

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2017, 02:17:09 PM »
I did have one user already have a temp profile upon logging in. I just rebooted, and logged in as her again. Her profile was normal and I checked her Avast version and it ended in .59. So, maybe it just needed a reboot? It had been about 9 days since she last logged in.